Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DHenslowe
New Today: 5
New Yesterday: 104
Overall: 143938

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 1
Total: 48 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Setting up a DSL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up a DSL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosevidney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Setting up a DSL Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been tasked with setting up a DSL from scratch. Can anyone give me any advice on layout etc and what I should consider?

Many thanks for your help

Rachel Razz
Roger
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Not much help ! Reply with quote

Hi Rachel

I see that a few folks have looked at your question, but not replied... I guess the reason is that it's a tricky question...

Firstly, as you may be aware the DSL and DHS are replaced by the DML in v3.. !!!!

BUT I have a favorite saying that I like to use for all tough questions... it's my saying and when you read it you will agree with me...

It all depends !

There are no hard and fast rules about what a DSL should look like or contain.. the important point here is that the DSL is a CONCEPT, rather than an actual product. The primary consideration is that the information about what is stored in the DSL is held in the CMDB.

You will also have a physical and electronic storage area and you will have names on media that follow your release policy. You will not have archives of software in the DHS... they will live in a seperate area.
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel,

I've designed and implemented a number of DSLs for multiple large enterprises. A good DSL, when complete, is a very complicated system. ITIL's description of a DSL is very limited and vague. You may want to start with some very basic things...

1: Create a common repository/disk that will get mounted/mapped to each and every machine
2: Create at least one partition for every standard environment you have (Development, Systems Integration Testing, User Acceptance Testing, Production). More environments are always better than less, as you can always scale down. Scaling up become a problem after everything is in place and working.
3: Create a structured "root" taxonomy/hierarchy for storage on the disk. Something like /dsl00001/<environment>/Products/
4: Create sub-categorized taxonomies. For example:
.../Products/3rd_Party/<Product_Name>/Release_ID>, and
.../Products/Internal/<Product_Name>/<Release_ID>
5: Create domain based taxonomies. For example, under "Internal", you might have something like:
.../<Product_Name>/<Release_ID>/src (for source code)
.../<Product_Name>/<Release_ID>/install (for installable entities or what ITIL calls Release Units)
.../<Product_Name>/<Release_ID>/regressions
6: Once all your taxonomies are in place, for each environment, then you have to decide on policies and procedures. For example:
- Since your DSL becomes your golden copy repository for all code, a best practice is that, aside from administrators, no human hands should ever have access to the content. All access should be through automated abstraction scripts that captures who has performed work, when, etc. (for true auditing, since you will need to prove to auditors that you can control who does or doesn't have access to the DSL and how you know and can control that.
- You will need to come up with World Group, and User permissions.
- You will need to come up with appropriate Groups that you can cluster specific roles into
- What are your naming standards for Products & Releases (both Internal and Vendor)
- Who installs vendor software on the DSL and when?
- How does internally designed source code get into the DSL
- Builds of software automatically should populate the sub-branches in the "install" directory
- Human hands should never touch the "Internal" products partition
- Etc.
7: After your first phase of roll-out/deployment, you will need to build your abstraction scripts/code/utilities.
- Ability to copy media to/from the DSL
- Ability to Check-In/Check-Out source code and sync with the SCCS
- Ability to "promote" RFCs (and ultimately their associated code) across environments
- Software Build Templates
- Software push/pull distribution templates
- Partition Lock Templates
- Tools to map and control RFC dependencies
- Tools to map and control Build dependencies
- Tools to map and control Release dependencies
- Tools to map and control Product dependences
- Tools to map and control Deployment/Distribution dependencies
- Etc.

On top of this, ITIL misses a very critical point. You will not only need a DSL but you will also need a Local Software Library (LSL) on every machine, which is something that ITIL does not even mention. Your deployment tools should distribute/pull software from the DSL into the LSL, which is a local shadow taxonomy of the DSL. Upon distribution, all appropriate Release Units get mapped into their appropriate LSL directories to ensure that 1: everything is on the target machine in a structure & organized way and 2: to ensure that all dependencies are accounted for, since in order to run Product A - Release A.X.Y.Z, you may need to have Product B - Release B.F.G.Y installed.

A DSL is "not" an easy concept, if it's done correctly. If you go by using ITIL's descriptions, I promise you that you will question your implementation very quickly.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand ITIL Platform
Mark_B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Is anyone able to give me an example to what extent you have populated the DML? I am scoping out what to include - there are the obvious items like Lisences and Application Software, but coming from a shop which is both Midrange and Mainframe would you include JCL and Source Code even though they are already under the control of a Library Manager (SCLM)?

Cheers,
Mark
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_B wrote:
would you include JCL and Source Code even though they are already under the control of a Library Manager (SCLM)?

Not my subject really, but the answer has to be that you consider how to manage and control all software so that it is always in a known state, subject to security, regression and other requirements and available for examination, development, testing etc.

Whether you bring all aspects of control into one database or develop practical management interfaces between many, is a matter of practicality.

does SCLM meet all your requirements of control and management for the system level software? Can you interface it or integrate it with your DML? should you migrate it to your DML? Are their training issues as well as other practicalities to consider?

Only you can tell in the end.

See Roger's post earlier in this thread.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Guerino1
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_B wrote:
Hi all,
Is anyone able to give me an example to what extent you have populated the DML? I am scoping out what to include - there are the obvious items like Lisences and Application Software, but coming from a shop which is both Midrange and Mainframe would you include JCL and Source Code even though they are already under the control of a Library Manager (SCLM)?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

The goal is to ultimately get everything into your DSL. However, keep in mind that if your enterprise is large enough, you'll have multiple mirror DSLs to keep performance adequate for each region. This will then breed the issue of managing one DSL as the master for all your other DSLs, which will feed from it or synchronize with it.

So, yes, I would keep all software, of any form, in your DSL.

One of the many advantages is that once you're code is located in one place, you can do things like write search scripts or metrics gathering scripts that you can run against your single source for code.

FYI... it's very important that you create a solid logical structure within your DSL for organizing what you create, in a very repeatable way that scales across projects, organizations, locations and, ultimately, regions.

My Best,

Frank
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Not much help ! Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
Hi Rachel

I see that a few folks have looked at your question, but not replied... I guess the reason is that it's a tricky question...

Firstly, as you may be aware the DSL and DHS are replaced by the DML in v3.. !!!!

BUT I have a favorite saying that I like to use for all tough questions... it's my saying and when you read it you will agree with me...

It all depends !

There are no hard and fast rules about what a DSL should look like or contain.. the important point here is that the DSL is a CONCEPT, rather than an actual product. The primary consideration is that the information about what is stored in the DSL is held in the CMDB.

You will also have a physical and electronic storage area and you will have names on media that follow your release policy. You will not have archives of software in the DHS... they will live in a seperate area.

I have to take issue with you here......thats just one word away from being UKVIKING's catchphrase - plagiarism at it's worst.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Not much help ! Reply with quote

[quote="BorisBear"]
Roger wrote:
I have to take issue with you here......thats just one word away from being UKVIKING's catchphrase - plagiarism at it's worst.

Look at the date. We have to establish precedence before making a call. It might just be a misdemeanour.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not implement Intellectual Property on It depends !

1 - I feared the lawsuits about adult diapers

And i could not decide whether the phrase was

It depends
IT depends
it depends

because.. you know.. it depends

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admit it John. You have a dependency issue.

Hang on and see if we can help you sort it.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: