Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DOKeefe
New Today: 74
New Yesterday: 97
Overall: 142146

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 1
Total: 50 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Proactive PM - trending on Calls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proactive PM - trending on Calls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nzmoko

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Proactive PM - trending on Calls Reply with quote

Does anyone trend on calls to the service desk (not incidents)? If so, why? If not, why?

I'm trying to understand if there would be any benefit in doing this...
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to quote some guys :
It depends (aaaargh, this hurts).

YES: We're following the time the call occured to adjust our staff plans

NO: We've no interest in any trends which allows us to get pro-active

Guess what?

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzmoko

As the Service desk is the central point for all incidents, the calls into the Sd may be tracked like MBU said

However, it has nothing to do with problem mgtm (ITIL)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
bennyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our PM team trends (ok that's just me Embarassed ) on all of our SD calls.
I use the trends as a finger in the wind for early capture of:
- increased calls on particular services eg. Exchange, Network, OS etc
- increased calls in certain locations eg London, NY, Hong Kong etc
- Call types - incidents (loss of service on the increase or is it decreasing) - Service Requests (what's happening in the business that we don't know about) - How Do I's (Is staff training sufficient)

If I notice any of these things are increasing unexpectadly then I know there's further investigation to be done.

I'm not sure if this is strictly ITIL PM, it's not infalible and the trending is a lot of work to set up correctly to begin with but in my humble opinion the work is worth the security of knowing that we've got an eye on what's occuring as it occurs.

I should probably also say that this doesn't replace proactive monitoring and alerts and sit along side reports develope for management/strategic decisions to be based on.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Proactive PM - trending on Calls Reply with quote

nzmoko wrote:
Does anyone trend on calls to the service desk (not incidents)? If so, why? If not, why?

I'm trying to understand if there would be any benefit in doing this...

If you do not analyse the calls that reach your service desk, how do you know:

what it is being used for
who is using it
what its value is
whether it can be improved
whether you need it at all

Trending is the part of the analysis that looks for patterns over time and, hopefully, distinguishes between cyclical patterns, temporary variations and long-term changes.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trend analysis on incidents is key to our Problem Mgmt process and probably for any Problem Mgmt process. That being said, the topic opener asked about trending of service desk calls, not incidents. Such calls would not only include calls to report incidents, but also service requests and follow-up calls (e.g. status checks) for previously reported incidents. Keep in mind that what some organizations would consider an incident, others might consider service requests (e.g. password resets, how-to questions). If how-to questions are considered service requests, then from a Problem Mgmt standpoint it might be worth looking at these. After all, these could indicate a lack of user training or procedural issues. So bottomline, non-incidents may be valuable to trend for Problem Mgmt.
Parajuli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcel wrote
Quote:
So bottomline, non-incidents may be valuable to trend for Problem Mgmt

Then how do you make a trend analyse for problem?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parajuli wrote:
Then how do you make a trend analyse for problem?

The question is unclear. What kind of trending would you want for problems?

What useful classifications of problems would give you enough data for trending? How many problems would that require?

Or do you mean you want to detect a trend in the occurrence of problems per se?

Well, in a stable environment, you would expect there to be fewer problems over time, and so that might be worth observing. But there are not many stable environments around. I would think you would want to react to an influx of problems long before you had sufficient time and data to identify it as a trend.

So that leaves trending increasing workloads in problem management in order to secure adequate resources (assuming you cannot fix it by improving processes).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: