Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ARamaciot
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 141
Overall: 131704

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Transition Course
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Transition Course

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Service Transition Course Reply with quote

Looking for confirmation that the ITIL Service Lifecycle Module "Service Transition" is the best/most appropriate course to take when working in a Change/Configuration management role.I will probably be self funding this 3 day course and need to be absolutely sure I am taking the correct course of action.
The ITIL foundation course does cover Change & Configuration management at high level,but I need more in depth formal knowledge so as to aid my career going forward.
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UKIT

as posted elsewhere you must take and pass Foundation before you can take any other courses.

This can be done self study, but is best done in an accredited course - cost is around 800 with the exam. The exam alone at a Prometric centre for example will cost a lot less (about 100 I think)

See the sticky at the top of this forum

Ed
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Service Transition Course Reply with quote

UKIT wrote:
Looking for confirmation that the ITIL Service Lifecycle Module "Service Transition" is the best/most appropriate course to take when working in a Change/Configuration management role.I will probably be self funding this 3 day course and need to be absolutely sure I am taking the correct course of action.
The ITIL foundation course does cover Change & Configuration management at high level,but I need more in depth formal knowledge so as to aid my career going forward.

RCV will be a better choice than ST (bit expensive though), as it gives you more insight in to Change/Config and Release.

And, yes, you cannot sit for ST or anyother intermediate without Foundation

Hope this helps!
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Perhaps I misled you by the way I worded my post.
I have the ITIL V3 Foundation qualification and now need to progress to the Intermediate level in which the course needs to lean towards Change & Configuration management.More so change I suppose as that is my current involvement.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST better for if you are a techo and want to go deep into nuts and bolts. Otherwise, RCV
imnsho
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCV would be better. ST is more theoretical. Make sure that your training provider includes lots of group work, not just slides and talking, as it is in the exercises that you really apply/inbed your knowledge.
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the syllabus for the transition course it states...

"It is recommended that students should complete at least 21 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the Service Transition book in preparation for the examination."

The transition course is a 3 day course with the exam being on the 3rd day.Is it the norm for training companies to send out the manual allowing the student to read the manual in readiness for the course.I would prefer to read the manual from cover to cover giving me a head start,prior to attending the course.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the "Manual", do you mean the ST book? This may be included with your course materials, but I would advise finding out if it is, and asking for it early, or asking them NOT to include it and buy your own copy. You need 2-3 weeks to read this and absorb it - it cannot be skimmed through very effectively
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do indeed mean the ST Book,which I have been advised is included as part of the course.I have requested the ST book and now chasing the training company for it.
I was advised prior to paying for the course,that they would be sending me the ST Book.I am still waiting for it.
I telephoned today and was told that I would'nt need it,I assured them that I do, reminding them of the syllabus.
The plan is to study the ST book using the syllabus as a guide well before the course.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the course paid for already? If not, you may consider taking your currency elsewhere
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ST book was delivered as requested,which gave me enough time to read through the book in order to get an idea of what ST was about prior to the course.
Found the ST book to be quite a read,a week wasn't really enough time to allow the info to sink in as it were,but getting the basic idea is better than nothing at all.
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKIT wrote:
The ST book was delivered as requested,which gave me enough time to read through the book in order to get an idea of what ST was about prior to the course.
Found the ST book to be quite a read,a week wasn't really enough time to allow the info to sink in as it were,but getting the basic idea is better than nothing at all.

Did you realise you don't need a sleeping pill ?
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book is good and I read a bit each and every day.As for the exam which incidently is scenario based,we are STILL waiting for the exam results having taken the exam over 4 weeks ago.
It seems the exam board need to moderate the exam results????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: