Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AnnLri
New Today: 21
New Yesterday: 95
Overall: 141460

People Online:
Visitors: 76
Members: 1
Total: 77 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Release Policy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release Policy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Diarmid.

At last some one replies on the lines I was expecting.

Diarmid wrote:

No one seems to want to tackle the question head on.

That seems to be rather norm on this forum. Instead of progressing the question further, it just gets stuck in "Do what you want to, thats ITIL for you" rather than, "We do this, I think you can do this way or that way".

How will the ITIL community grow and this website grow if we don't take interest in other people's scenarios and share some knowledge and also learn something new. The thread here is a perfect example of that. The OP has stood his ground and come back, but does it need to be like that.

The latest replies are more on a desired lines and makes new people feel welcomed.

Just my 2 cents Very Happy

Tomkin
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i have decided now is to create an "Enterprise Release Policy" that would cover the policy and guidelines for :-

1. Releases of software in Production (Applications) both projects and BAU
2. Testing
3. Naming
4. DML (need to set this thing up as per ITIL)
5. Hardware and OS guidelines
6 Standards
7. Release and Deployment Plans
8. ELS
9. How to fill the RACI
10 Baselining Rolling Eyes

etc.

And also a Release Policy for each application that is rolled out by Project and COTS apps (few releases may escape this scope, but cannot foresee which ones).
This release policy will contain the

1. RACI
2. Naming conventions
3. Versioning
4. Forward Schedule of Change
5. ELS details
+ stuff on ITIL books about release policy

Thats the plan now. As part of the introduction of Release Management, i need to create a lot of docs Evil or Very Mad

Would love to hear your comments on the plan and your valuable input.

Tomkin
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomkin

This is a forum. FREE. is the prime word.

If you want someone on this forum to write your Release Policy. ask one of us for a quote for doing that.

If you want consulting service, same again

If you want advice... you got it.. Read the DAMN ITIL Book. Use that object that resides between your ears -brain - and analysis the information in the book about Release Mgmt. and make your own determination. THAT IS THE CRUX of ITIL. The books are guidelines. You have to figure out what you want to extract from ITIL to make your procesess better. If you think the books are the Be and end all of how to do Release mgmt or change mgmt or etc mgmt, you are sadly mistaken.

That said. WTF do you exactly want ? None of the posters here know exactly what kind of environment that you are seeking to control via a Release Policy. None of us can read your mind nor infer from information that is NOT in your post. And moaning about the lack of answers dont cut it either. See first line above

Now for some more assistance / advice / help ... now that I have fulfilled my role as the senior grumpy ole git.

When you write a release policy, take into consideration the following. the scope of the release, the relationship with change, configuration mgmt, the teams and types of teams invovled - internal / external / third party

The policy document for release should directly relate to the CM policy for the area.

So what about global/ entreprise or application release policies. The answer is yes

If there is a global policy, then the entreprise or application policy should be based on the CM global or entreprise policy. If there is no global or entreprise one and you are working in say a Siebel application enviroment.. .make sure the policy (Chaneg and release) is geared to that environment - taking into consideration things like

how defects in application are handled
how the underlying systems, database etc are patched and upgraded
how complex or simple an upgrade or patch is for the system, database, application
how frequent
yadda yadda yadd

If however, this release policy is for hardware only, then the policy is much simplier

DONE.

Please note what irritates the frequent poster (like me) is when some one posts something and the post appears to be made because the individual does not even bother to think of their own answer to the question. We want to give good advice - not be a excuse for making ones own decision. We also dont want to put so much information / effort that we cross the line between free advice - which has no liabilities as some of us are Professional Consultants and consulting (for free) - which can incur liabilites if you act on our data and treating what we say as consulting

NOW: Can you respond with some remarks about what we have said about Release Policy and Release management - hopefully not merely whinging about the remarks - but learning from what we said and DID NOT say about RM

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomkin

I saw your reply with the outline of the RM policy

My only point is....

Release must link to CHange as Change release and configuration go together like a full english breakfast

tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
Tomkin

That said. WTF do you exactly want ? None of the posters here know exactly what kind of environment that you are seeking to control via a Release Policy. None of us can read your mind nor infer from information that is NOT in your post. And moaning about the lack of answers dont cut it either. See first line above

Is there a need of swearing ? A dictionary might help you for alternatives to express your disgust.

UKVIKING wrote:

Now for some more assistance / advice / help ... now that I have fulfilled my role as the senior grumpy ole git.

That's nice, John. When you have this side of you personality, do you need to show the ugly side Razz

UKVIKING wrote:

My only point is....

Release must link to CHange as Change release and configuration go together like a full english breakfast

Exactly, they are family. We are in the process of implementing new process and every Release will spawn off from a Normal RFC.

RFC-> Release Record -> Update RFC (back to change mgmt) -> Tasks for Config-> And PIR and close RFC

This is just very high level.

So that the plan.

Thanks for replies John. You sound more bitter than you actually are. Laughing [/quote]
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomkin

I did not swear. I emphasized . Hehe. I am not bitter. I am salty.

The WTF and DAMN aside, part of the problem when posing a question is contextual references

As the majority of the heavy posters have BTDT, got the badge and experience, questions from people that appear to be Duhs... get our collective dander and some of us go... well what does he mean ? Is he asking what I think etc etc etc.

The thing with ITIL is , that is my basic philosphy , is the military (ex USARMY) term called UNODIR..... which means Unless Otherwise Directed

In other words, if there is no explicit standards body that says it must be this way or that.. I am free to work on things my way

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomkin wrote:
That seems to be rather norm on this forum.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

But thanks for the recognition in this case.

I sometimes feel quite embarrassed after reading other people's responses because they have seen what lay behind a question with such clarity and my own response has turned out to be tangential ramblings. And of course the same thing happens to most other frequent posters now and then.

To be theoretical (qv a certain other thread) for a moment, that is the richness of this process in that everyone comes to it with a different perspective.

most uses of "it depends" are qualified by some level of explanation and the more acerbic non-answers are often followed by considerable contributions if the questioner provides even a little more context.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
tomkin wrote:

I desperately hope that I am wrong Smile

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I will keep this thread alive whenever I have relevant questions.

If in future someone like me comes looking for this kind of info this thread might help.

Thanks again.

Tomkin
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[TGIF]

tomkin wrote:
Diarmid wrote:
tomkin wrote:

I desperately hope that I am wrong Smile

In another thread and much more recently:
tomkin wrote:
Ambri,

Don't get disheartened by the advice you get here, you may not like it but people generally talk sense here and truth is bitter sometimes.

Listen to what everyone is saying here and make up your own mind, what you want to do.

tomkin wrote:
It really is a waste of time getting involved in posts like this.

You spend time thinking and then typing your response and the OP disappears.

It is happening a lot with these kind of posts.

tomkin wrote:
rpmason, you are right !! Somehow I like ukviking's reactions Smile

I guess you have been assimilated Cool
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Diarmid that certainly is the case.

I did say, "I hope I am wrong"

But you will have to agree, that this website is a bit different in terms of responses novices get or may be I have been on extra helpful websites.

I had to agree with all the posters on the Ambri thread as he was taking the p*ss. And thats why I butted in and I could identify the situation he is in.

Well all I can say, when you become part of a community, it takes time to understand the culture and if you want to remain in the community you adapt or leave. For now, I have chosen the former Smile

Regards,
Tomkin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: