Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: SJarnigan
New Today: 34
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 146134

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 2
Total: 77 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Training for the masses - your opinions pls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Training for the masses - your opinions pls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: ITIL Training for the masses - your opinions pls Reply with quote

Folks,

I am going to lay down some info around how my organisation is contemplating its ITSM education campaign. Interested in your feedback, what you've seen work/not work in your travels.

Background.
Shared Infrastructure Support Provider.
~310 staff, 13000 end users under mgt (6 customers)
Growing to ~650 staff and 50000 users under mgt over next 3 years (15 customers).
Implementing v3 aligned capabilities (process, tooling, organisation) over next 3 years.
Upgrading our ITSM tool between Jan-June 2010 (already 8 months planning & procurement under our belt).
Currently CMM level 1.5-2.5 across V2 support processes, CMM 1.0-1.5 across V2 delivery processes.
1x V3 expert on staff (me), 4x v2 managers on staff, many v2 foundation, couple of v2 practitioners.

The Challenge
ITSM Awareness training across all staff, combining some theory and also what our transformation is going to look like. Objectives - all staff understand:
[list=]The importance of IT Service Management Processes /ITIL
Benefits for Our Company
Introduction to the lifecycle framework and its different components/processes
How the different processes work together
What this means at a team/individual level[/list]

How we're planning to approach this:
3.5 hr classroom 12 people per session
Almost mandatory to attend (execs, mgrs, T/Ls, staff, key contact where we have an OLA with a third party, customer solver groups)
Build custom curricula (slides, handouts) with a certified ITIL training company
Some comms (FAQ on intranet, email Q&A box, attend team meetings to promote the training)
Give everyone an official v3 pocket book
Pilot the training with our Exec
Conduct Train-the-Trainer so that we have 5-6 internal ppl who can run this training
Make the course evaluation more like a John Kotter organisational change survey (will outline in a further post)
Training then is added to our induction for new starters

NOTE: next wave is more specific tooling/process training that will be targeted based on which audiences use what processes. This next wave of training is actually an ongoing thing as our journey to CMM 3 across the whole place will be never-ending - a bit like the Monkey TV show where we're on a journey towards enlightenment. Not sure who is Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy or Tripitaka.
This initial awareness training wil be a prerequisite to be able to attend the next wave, which is a prerequisite to using the new ITSM tools (ie: working here).
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are some questions I'm thinking of posing at the end of this training. All Org Change stuff. Thoughts? Remember that this is initial awareness of ITSM and our program of change.

1 = strongly disagree...scale through to...5 = strongly agree

Statements
We cannot continue without IT Service Management
The team responsible for realizing the benefits of IT Service Management has sufficient influence to make the change work
We have a good strategy for realizing the benefits of IT Service Management
I can convey the IT Service Management vision within 5 minutes
We all take the responsibility to make IT Service Management happen
There are plans for realizing IT Service Management
I recognize that changes on different levels are interrelated to IT Service Management
We are more effective because of our changed approach
I understand that we have to change in order to realize the benefits of ITSM
I am confident that the team guiding IT Service Management will succeed and get results
I feel motivated by the vision behind the objectives for IT Service Management
In our department, we communicate openly and honestly about IT Service Management.
ITSM also requires different skills from me personally
I understand the relationship between the change vision and the planned activities in IT Service Management
I think it's good that we continuously adjust in order to realize the benefits of ITSM
We address unproductive behaviour with regard to the change
It's really necessary for us to achieve the benefits of ITSM
My manager encourages me to actively take part in IT Service Management
In our department we contribute to the new vision and strategy
IT Service Management is repeated in many forms of communication
Management cannot realize the change themselves, I need to contribute too
Our efforts produce successful results which contribute to IT Service Management
I would like to participate in extending IT Service Management
ITSM and utilising good practice processes is an integral part of the way we think and act
I am committed to the necessity for IT Service Management
In our company different areas of expertise contribute to the benefits of ITSM
There is a clear vision which puts into perspective what we want to accomplish with IT Service Management
Communication on the purpose of the change is clear and understandable
I am being supported in acquiring the skills and competence’s necessary to exploit ITSM
Successful contributions to the change are rewarded
We have integrated the changes in our daily routines
We aren’t moving back to our old routines
I persuade others into the necessity of IT Service Management
IT Service Management is being prepared and started by a recognizable group
I understand strategic choices have been made to reach our desired outcomes
Due to IT Service Management I feel confident about the future
I get recognition and rewards for contributions to IT Service Management
We are realizing short-term results aligned with IT Service Management
The Change continues to move on
The new approach is clearly defined and actively carried out
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I want to go back and retest the same questions above, say 6-9 months later to see what has stuck and what hasn't.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is teh company also including official training / course work / certification as a potential path as well as career path with certification....

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

with regard to your questions, I would advise using positive questions, rather than negative, as this is easier for people to relate to, and after reading a recent article on the BBC news website, I would be inclined to avoid a slideshow.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8207849.stm for the article

Louise - apologies for the link

Ed
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM,
please find below my 2ct:
First of all: RESPECT for the journey you're planning and I wish you all the best for you and your team. There're 2 important things to keep in mind.
Assure that your key players (internal trainers, multiplicators, etc.) stuck with you.
Communicate success storys. Then it's easier to convince the laggard to "come with you".

Maybe you should also invest some €$ in somebody from the outside who "tells you the truth", because you have to assure correct feedback about where you're REALLY.

Could you please update us about your story or post a link of your blog?

Thx,

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, do you have a Sydney office?
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
vimprash
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Good approach. As ED said please post/showcase positives, benifits of ITSM to attract staff for the change. This will reduce the resistance which most will show when there is a change.

Since you are using an official partner (trainer) initial, i assume you would get the training material from them which should be in KISS format (Keep it short and simple).

When you get top management support it becomes easy to implement things. All the very best.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYbeach wrote:
Hi Tom, do you have a Sydney office?

Nope - all Melbourne based.
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Based on your supplied background information your company is seeking a ~ 80% performance increase through your IT Service Managementsystem. Thats going to be a lot of work enhancing capability and maturity levels. My respect.

As for your awareness, training and competence program you might think of integrating a service management simulation training like "Apollo 13", "Airport Simulation", etc. That helped boost the awareness and team skills in my company. Even a majority of the "contra-change" fraction of staff realised the need for change. Also don`t forget the psychological effect change has on people and the phases we all go through. It`s all about finding the benefits for "myself" before "I" put myself on the side of accepting and supporting the change, or joining the fighting coalition.

I personally find to many statements in your review form. You lost my concentration and desire to read further on after a third of the statements. As some would say "Keep it stupid simple" (KISS). I assume you are using the assessment to measure the awareness level. Just like developing a control-system based on metrics and kpi`s, you might want to concentrate on a minimum of core statements.

Steve
COBIT Practitioner (ISACA)
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aucade,

How have you found the COBIT training/certification? Worthwhile? Practical? Complimentary to your ITIL education?

I'm contemplating a COBIT fundamentals course after xmas.

Look forward to any insights..

Rgds,
Tom
aucade
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I found the training worth the money. Put it this way. My expectations where fully fulfiled. I`d say ITIL is a complimentary to Cobit. Cobit is more about the governance aspects and control and monitoring of the service management system as a whole. I find cobit is more the "what you should do" and ITIL "guidance on how it could be done". Does that make sense?

Steve
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense - thanks for the response.
MBU
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addition:
COBIT gives you also more the "business view" on IT. Starting from a Enterprise strategy (BSC) to IT goals to enterprise architecture for IT to an IT scorecard. If I were CEO or CFO I would be happy to "have something like COBIT" to push my CIO that he (IT) delivers what I (business) expect.

After nearly 9 years in ITIL I saw that COBIT is much broader and business oriented.

Cheers,

"I can't say it'll be better if it changes, but I can say it has to change to be good"
G.C. Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: