Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AhmedMoor
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 83
Overall: 141561

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - What salary can I expect witl 1 year ITIL experience?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What salary can I expect witl 1 year ITIL experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobleguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Diarmid & UKVIKING.. Thank you for your quick reply..

Yes I agree this is neither a jobsite nor a consultancy site. Still I posted the question because here there are senior members who are aware of most of the technologies and balck belts as well.

I was into Incident, Problem and Change Management.. Major into Problem Management. Worked on Remedy 7.0, OSR tool and Manage Now etc..

I am more interested towards CCNA MCSE.. But still into dilema as to what should I choose. Because, once I choose now, it would be my path and might not leave it until I expertise in that.

Please do not mind my asking of career related queries here in this forum. Because I have no other way to go..

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Noble Guy
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NG

Do you want to be a techie and go into a tech role

You should choose a speciality carefully

System engineer or Network engineer not both

As a s/ eyou will have to have some network knowledge training etc but not at the level of a n/e

And CCNA is the foundation equivilent for networks- it means you can spell TCP/ IP, do traceroute, IP Subnet and routing

the next 2 levels are harder and are more specialized

It is all down to what you

I started in IT in the early 80s - did sysadmin for unix, then got into networks early, then went out to do wintel platform training etc... each of the skill sets i learned helped me in the role but i had to learn and start from the bottom for each area

now after 25 years+ in IT, I am GoG and master of all i survey . I have been there, done that. got the t shirt, coffee mug and the coaster and maybe even the certificate / diploma / degree (nope0

Just because at 18-20 you decide you want to do IT does not mean at 40 you will be doing IT, it all depends on what you find on the path your life takes and the choices you make or are made for you

I wanted to study at the Culinary Institute and be a chef.. as I love to cook etc .. but then after working in a restaurant for a couple of years in between other things - i realized i loved cooking for myself not others

I gather from the posts you are in India.

I dont know the structure for things but it seems something you must follow the maze until a certain point. deal with the maze and get a broader understanding of what you can do, want to do and like to do

I like IT and technology I also know people who are in IT or Service management and hate it ... but it is a job - vocation not avocation

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Ed
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NG

As another GOG with in excess of 35 years in IT I would heatily endorse eveything John has said.

Spot on John!!!!!!

Ed
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How someone can collect qualifications just to earn a few quid extra and become an economic migrant beats me. Going on a few courses about data networks/vnets/ITIL/SixSigma etc, just because it pays a couple of grand a year more than doing something you might be more interested in is a poor long term investment if you're going to be doing it for 10 hours a day for the next 40 years.

Having the basic certification counts for nothing to an employer when compared with having the experience and the enthusiasm for a role.

I see so many people from the emerging economies doing crash courses to get the badges and I wouldn't employ them in a million years....the main reason being is that they don't have the experience and the practical application of the theory. I have been around the block more times than a tramp's dog and thats what has made me truly employable.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean Boris.

I once interviewed someone who was a couple of years out of uni and he started the interview with "I have ten years experience."

Okay, I thought, couple of temp jobs; he's counting his courses at uni; what else? Turned out he had had a ZX spectrum at home from ten years back! Fortunately for him we were not looking for ten years experience for the role.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris

I dont see it just from emerging economies

Training courses etc here in the UK and the US tout their training will get them good jobs

but the training does not guarentee work because just because some one did the MCSE crash course for certification does not mean they know anything about working in a wintel shop

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you said getting certified doesn't guaranty you a job. But its definitely a plus. I went through alot of CV's for people who collects certificates its like a hobby to them thinking that this will boost their salary sky high, but when you come to interview those people you find that a chipmunk have more knowledge and experience than they do. Also not to forget how commercial it is now to get certified, you can buy/download most exams online and alot of people seems to love this method which prevents them from really learning. They are buying the certificate. Sad but true but there is a 9yr old MCP girl out there in C#, convince me how that's possible.

But as Boris and UK mentioned doing something that you like is very important. That will keep you going for years and makes you the best in what you do. "If you love your work, then its like an endless vacation". So its very keen to work in something that you really want to do, it might take you months or years to discover that, but when you know it, stick to it.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of experience doesn't necessarily get you a job either.
At the end of they day if a prospective employer doesn't want to employ you they won't regardless of what you know and have done. Conversely, if they feel you are the right person for their organisation they may well overlook any gaps in your experience / knowledge.
I have many years' IT experience plus Uni, now doing post grad including industry certification, all in an attempt to stay in this industry which by and large has been pretty good to me. Oh yes, and be competitive with you young hungry things as well. Much as I wouldn't mind stepping aside for the next generation, kids and mortgages dictate otherwise. I'm committed to keeping up my skillsets and accept that it will be self funded. Hence my pond scum contractor status
IMHO the best thing you can do is stay current with your skills and when going for jobs represent yourself truthfully.
But having said all that, I do recognise that the Indian job market must be completely different to what I am used to
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of Indian taxi drivers in Australia are highly qualified - MBAs, Masters, Doctors etc and cannot get employment here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: