Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: AmadoSnedd
New Today: 6
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 149677

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 1
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL manager certification
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL manager certification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: ITIL manager certification Reply with quote

Dear All,
I have just registered now as I need your help
I entered the service manager exams and failed in both
Really in my point of view I was expecting very high score specially in SD
The problem now that I don't know what I did wrong
do you have practical recommendations
Where can I get solved exams to help me in my next round
Regards
Amr
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seek answers from the training company that provided you the 10 days of training.

seek from the scoring company as they can provide an analysis of your questions

Your course should have had at least 2 - 3 examples per topic per day.

how did you do on those

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
mora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John for your answer
Actually I attended the course in one company which does not perform such exams, then entered the exams in another company
SO the first one does not offer exam preparation training or even samples while the other asked to attened the course again if I want to get such samples.
At the end I don't have sample answers just to guide me
Regards
Amr
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused

The Manager's exam has 2 5 day courses associated with the exam

The course is suppose to prepare you for understanding the material and preparing you for the exam

The course set up should be 2 instructors and each day, there should be mock exams for each topic.

These should form the basis of the material to study. As well as the course materials and the blue book and red book

If you examine other posts about the Manager's exam, you will find that there are no perfect or sample answers that will help you.

In addition, there are very little in regards to free or sample copies of what people who passed or failed the manager's exam because the exams are kept by the grading body. ISEB or whatever.

ISEB for me was able to providing an analysis of what I was doing correct and incorrect in regards to my own exams.

The exams are designed to test YOUR knowledge about ITIL and your ability to display your knowledge in the form of your written answers

Look at the recent post by Ssadhu - who spent lots of time studying to know the material and to be able to display that knowledge. Ssadhu got a distinction which is very rare.

NOTE: The 2 week course costs about the same as 2 Micosoft technical courses. In the UK that is about 4000 GBP.

LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people get very high scores on the managers exam = only 53% of candidates sitting both exams passed both (at the January exam). Only about 5-10% manage 65% in both papers, which is a distinction. You need to practice the answering of the questions - brain-dumping from the book does not get you a pass. Major reasons for failing are:
1. Failure to answer the question asked, but to give a generic book answer, not applying your knowledge
2. failure to reference the case -study - which usually reduced the maximum marks by half.
3. Not answering all parts of the question, or going off topic.
4. Not writing enough. If it is a 10 marks for part a of a question, you probably half to write 2-3 pages.
5. Not having read the books, but depending on your copies of the course slides.

As a warning to others - choose your training company carefully - if it does not give you a lot of exam practice, with answers marked, with full feedback, go elsewhere.
scook2003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizGallacher wrote:
Very few people get very high scores on the managers exam = only 53% of candidates sitting both exams passed both (at the January exam). Only about 5-10% manage 65% in both papers, which is a distinction. You need to practice the answering of the questions - brain-dumping from the book does not get you a pass. Major reasons for failing are:
1. Failure to answer the question asked, but to give a generic book answer, not applying your knowledge
2. failure to reference the case -study - which usually reduced the maximum marks by half.
3. Not answering all parts of the question, or going off topic.
4. Not writing enough. If it is a 10 marks for part a of a question, you probably half to write 2-3 pages.
5. Not having read the books, but depending on your copies of the course slides.

As a warning to others - choose your training company carefully - if it does not give you a lot of exam practice, with answers marked, with full feedback, go elsewhere.

Liz,

I sat this exam but still have no results, how long does it take to get them. Any ideas?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the exam in january and the score showed up just before the april exam dates

scook2003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
I took the exam in january and the score showed up just before the april exam dates

Thanks, guess I have some more waiting.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I am in the UK and some times the post for me is delay because the idjit keeps putting the mail in the wrong house

but usually the results come out a couple of weeks before the next exam so that if the candidate did not pass, can take the next exam

LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results should be out now. The markers meeting was held 10 days ago or so, and the results come out after that. (ISEB - I do not know about anyone else)
TomOzITIL
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to score 70 and 82 respectively on SS and SD late last year.

The advice above is very sound, in addition, I was pleased that I:
* Took 9 days of vacation prior to the exams to study, turned my cell phone off and studied for 5-7 hours per day, which was primarily doing practice questions and getting some "miles" into my handwriting.
* FTFQ (read the ******* question). Only answer what is asked and also in the format that it is asked. eg: if the question asks for pros and cons, then do you answer in a clear table, listing each.
* Bullet points get more marks better than sentences and paragraphs.
* Consistency - ie: don't hope to ignore some processes and pick up the marks in your strong ones.
* Cause & effect - fully understand how processes feed into each other.
* Use your first-hand experience - examples of what you've experienced.
* Summarised the books but didn't even try to rote learn them.
* Get loads of practice questions answered by my trainers.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Tom
Twilite74

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Couldnt Ayree More Reply with quote

Perfect advice - I would add that time is not your friend in the exam.

Practise answering all five questions (20 marks per q) in, at most, 2hrs 30 min -Use Bullets and lots of white space to enable additions if you have time.

THINK like a MANAGER when answering.

TomOzITIL wrote:
I was fortunate enough to score 70 and 82 respectively on SS and SD late last year.

* Took 9 days of vacation prior to the exams to study, turned my cell phone off and studied for 5-7 hours per day, which was primarily doing practice questions and getting some "miles" into my handwriting.
* FTFQ (read the ******* question). Only answer what is asked and also in the format that it is asked. eg: if the question asks for pros and cons, then do you answer in a clear table, listing each.
* Consistency - ie: don't hope to ignore some processes and pick up the marks in your strong ones.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Tom
Basil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Sitting for the Exam on the 11th of August 08 Reply with quote

Hello All.

I have 10 days before my ITIL SM exam. I will be examined in the CMJ Ltd. case. Any sample exam material or practice questions?

Thank you, Basil.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Because it wont help you to be honest

Check all the previous posts about the Manager's exam

This one is all on YOU. It is hand written ESSAY work

In your course, there should have been exercises about each process.

Use them

THINK. What questions would you want to know about each process

ACT like a MANAGER. The tin god hood sort. Be pendatic. be anal

APPLY - you have to take the info in the course, the case study and apply ITIL best practice to it. This is something you have to be compfortable with

take 2 weeks holiday like the other guy did

You cant short cut this one

hassan2k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomOzITIL wrote:

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Tom

Congrats, I don't know if it's legal or not if you can share the questions and answers by your trainers because the problem is i am trying to find someone to mark my answers to measure my study plan before sitting for the exam.
my exam should be at April.
[Link deleted]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: