Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: NTramel
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 88
Overall: 139428

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 0
Total: 55

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SLA for CM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SLA for CM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidlet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: SLA for CM Reply with quote

If we consider to sign SLAs with customer for CM, what we should enclose? For Routined Change perhaps we can put lead time etc in the doc, but for other type of changes, I am not sure what exactly we should mention since the target for Change is difficult to measure and commit, any suggestion? thanks in advance.
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing that having SLAs for changes is dangerous. I will leave you to think why I might think that
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Bluesman
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..to me, this sounds like malpractice (or at least a grave misunderstanding). CM (to me) is an integral part of the IT/ITIL organisation. SLA:s are signed between the customer and the entire IT organisation via the Service Level Mgmt, not between the customer and a "subprocess" such as CM.

You will understand the implications of this, if you think a bit.

Example: A VIP customer could easily dictate/force a change with no business case by pointing at the SLA. Absurd. And totally non-ITIL, IMHO. "Fast lane"-thinking.

This is what we have RFCs and CABs for.

Would you let your customer sign a SLA directly with Problem Mgmt, too? Shocked I think not....

Your SLA (between customer and SLM, NOT CM) should contain the framework/routine for any changes. RFC > CAB etc. No lead times should be given whatsoever. This way, the customer will understand that any change requires resources and planning, and they will understand the need for them to be a part of the change, instead of just pointing with the whole hand.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry

An SLA on Change Management is the second most idiotic thing I can think that a company can implemt

The first is buying a tool without defining the underlying processes.

The prime reason is the following example

1 - you have approved a change for implementation by the microsoft team on Saturday from 1500 - 1600 local time. The work will require 3 web servers going down for maintenance and brought back one hour later.

2 - As the implementation team is the production support team, the engineer in question doing the work is the same team member providing support for any Microsoft oriented incidents

3 - at 1455, the microsoft servers - that provide the income generating area of the site go down. At 1500, it is realized that this is a critical P1 / Major Incident issue. Not on the same servers being maintainanced

4 - so what should the Production support team do

If there is a SLA on the change mgmt process, they must meet the SLA by implementing the change
But Incident Mgmt also has a SLA

So the duty SD lead is in a quandry, since the company put SLAs with service credits ($$$) as a recourse, what should he / she do ?

Stop the change and give service credits for failure to implement change
and work on the MI
or
ignore the MI and work on the change - giving service credits for the failure to deal with the MI

Granted, this is an extreme and most unlikely happening.. (it did happen) but w/o SLAs

The Changes if approved are implemented on a best endevours basis. There should be no SLA against CM at all.

The OLAs with CM process are another kettle of fish

But, what if you are providing service to customers - external and they have CM that you must implement.

Sigh. Then there should be an SLA against the service request itself not the change request and there should be clear understanding on the level of service (change implementation) and the standards for implementing the work and it must match the environment structure of the client more so than the service provider

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
changeborg
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent John - (sorry off topic) am happy to know that my company falls within the #1 idiotic things they can do! Seriously though, we did do that but truthfully they did it before they adopted ITIL. We're kind of stuck with it right now due to budget cuts though...
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Viking, for having the motivation to answer.

I looked at the post and went 'meh' Rolling Eyes
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
davidlet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much, John.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DY

I had to get rid of irritating energy from work issues.

It helped

otherwise

i would have meh'd

DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidlet
be happy to know you have a purpose in life
PMI CAPM (R)

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAs are for services. Change Management is not a service. It is how you manage changes to services.

I think SLA for problem management comes a close third and I have seen it proposed often enough.

Of course, you could provide a change management service for a customer, but it would not be an IT service unless the customer was an IT service provider. And you would use the customer's change management system, even if you had to make it up as you went along.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to emphasize, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
CM is "the other way around" stuff to SLA.
SLA is an agreement between Service Provider and a customer, it emphasizes the customer's need to goodies from the Service Provider.
On the other hand, CM lead time, for instance is the CM's need from its counterpart (other functions, processes, customers) to give adequate time to assess a change request (impact, risk, cost, etc) before implementation.

Just something in my mind, I hope this is not confusing

Cheers,
Asril
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changeborg

that's ok.. most company meet the criteria for \1, so your company is in good company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: