Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Andrewclut
New Today: 80
New Yesterday: 63
Overall: 139409

People Online:
Visitors: 65
Members: 0
Total: 65

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - incident document
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

incident document

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: incident document Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a quality employee, the company I work for is working with ITIL.
Now I am looking for a standard document for an incident report. Or subjects to put into that document.

We allready is an existing document, but that is not based on a ITIL standard procedure.

I hope you understand my question.

greetings
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarco

Actually no I don t.

issues

1 - A company can not work with ITIL. ITIL is not a tool, person etc. A company can use ITIL in the application of IT Service Management

2 - ITIL is not prescriptive but descriptive. It is not a standard and nothing in it is standard - guideliness yes , lots of TLAs, F/C and big words but not a standard

3 - what is a Incident Document ?

Incident what ? policy, process, procedure, work instructions, report,

And even all of those are dependent on what your own organization wants to know

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In my opinion a quality employee deserves a quality (if also a little rushed) response. i just hope it meets up to your quality standards!

I think you are setting your expectations far too high if you think that ITIL will give you a template for an "incident management report" (whatever that is).

ITIL will never negate the need for a good understanding of the business or common sense. It is merely a framework to help a business manage its service management risks, but it will never tell anyone that you MUST do this or that. (Apart maybe from the incident manager should not be the problem manager thing.)

In this instance your problem is not with not understanding ITIL, but with poorly defined requirements. I assume this report has been requested by someone in the business. i would recommend that you find that person, and ask them exactly what information they need, how frequently, in what format etc, and then go to your service management tool and determine how you would get this information. If they cannot explain what they want then defer from doing anything until they can.

If you cannot provide this info, either tell them what info you can provide, or implement a new process / change an existing process to cpature and report this information.
Jarco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
jarco

Actually no I don t.

issues

1 - A company can not work with ITIL. ITIL is not a tool, person etc. A company can use ITIL in the application of IT Service Management

2 - ITIL is not prescriptive but descriptive. It is not a standard and nothing in it is standard - guideliness yes , lots of TLAs, F/C and big words but not a standard

3 - what is a Incident Document ?

Incident what ? policy, process, procedure, work instructions, report,

And even all of those are dependent on what your own organization wants to know

UKviking, thanks for your reaction.
My English is not that good, so excuse me for my bad language.
I understand that ITIL is not a person or tool, we use ITIL in the Service Management.
We have Incident calls at our service desk. And the meaning by and incident call is that when a customer is working with our tools, and he have a problem and he call our service centre.
Jarco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swansong wrote:
Hi

In my opinion a quality employee deserves a quality (if also a little rushed) response. i just hope it meets up to your quality standards!

I think you are setting your expectations far too high if you think that ITIL will give you a template for an "incident management report" (whatever that is).

ITIL will never negate the need for a good understanding of the business or common sense. It is merely a framework to help a business manage its service management risks, but it will never tell anyone that you MUST do this or that. (Apart maybe from the incident manager should not be the problem manager thing.)

In this instance your problem is not with not understanding ITIL, but with poorly defined requirements. I assume this report has been requested by someone in the business. i would recommend that you find that person, and ask them exactly what information they need, how frequently, in what format etc, and then go to your service management tool and determine how you would get this information. If they cannot explain what they want then defer from doing anything until they can.

If you cannot provide this info, either tell them what info you can provide, or implement a new process / change an existing process to cpature and report this information.

Hi Swansong,

thanks for yor information! That's information I needed!
I will have a confersation with one of the Accountmanagers arround here.

My function is like an qualitymanager inside an company.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarco

Dont worry about the bad english. I am an american and the engligh folk around me tell me my lanaguage skills in english are crap

You reply to Swansong clears up a lot

First, you have the incident itself
Second, you have the incident record
third, you have some sort of report

Let's deal with the 1st and 2nd

The tool - itself - should have required and optional fields to be filled in
A lot of fields are controlled by being a look up value - or a selection of specific values.. These are easy to control and ensure the quality thereof

the ones that can not be controlled are free text field - subject lines, descriptions and notes by any one working on it

The only thing that can be done is write a document what is the acceptable lines for each type

I treat all info using the following

who called
what is wrong from their point of view
what were they doing when it happened
when did it happen
how should they be contacted

I have seen an incident subject . detail area like this

internet broken as the subject line
user unable to use browser to get to internet as the detail

After laughing, I wondered, hmmmm... hand / eye coordination, mouse trouble ?

there need to be enough detail to make sense to deal with the issue

As to reporting, my advice is use the pre-defined field for most classification and reports.
Use MS Access and MS excel or crystal reports or something like that

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: