Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VHansell
New Today: 39
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146019

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 2
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Managers that are technically clueless
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Managers that are technically clueless

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Problem managers without a technical background\experience are:
Able to provide solutions?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A waste of space?
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

Landerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Problem Managers that are technically clueless Reply with quote

Experience has taughut me, problem work shops are funny.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Problem Management role is not the problem investigation role, nor the problem solution designer role.

However, if you need one person to do all these things then it will definitely help if that person has good relevant technical knowledge. Even here, in any but the simplest of IT services, there will be technical areas outside the person's experience, disproportionately, since the areas covered by technical expertise within the organization are less likely to be at the root of problems.

A full time problem manager, still needs a good background in the infrastructure involved, but no more so than in the organization, its functions, objectives and scope. In other words that person needs to be able to grasp what is going on in the systems sufficiently to critically understand what the techies are saying and guide them in the directions that will arrive at a good resolution for the business.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PM mgmt person need not be technical

He / she should be able to time manage the team.

The PM team members should dare say be skilled in things in like area that they are responsible for, are able to conduct research, write documetns about specific, write in jargon and non jargon

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the Problem Manager role does not require extensive technical expertise. A Problem Analyst (i.e. the role that actually performs the investigation or prepares the solution) definitely should be a SME.

The Problem Manager is more of a process driver and investigation facilitator. A good Problem Manager can add a lot of value to a room full of SMEs when leading an investigation. Such as preventing 'tunnel vision', ensuring proper investigation documentation, preventing blame games, and so on. It certainly helps if the Problem Manager has sufficient technical expertise that allows him/her to effectively communicate with the SMEs and to sense when somebody is telling utter nonsense.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, when I was involved more directly in Problem Management, I found that having a reasonably basic understanding, but nothing in-depth could be an advantage. In a room full of techies, each with their own jargon and theories, insisting that they explained their theory and proposed solution in simple terms often helped get to the root of the problem. Each techie is techie in their own area, but not in others - once we reached a description and a theory which everybody could understand, the solution was often obvious
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

been there. Done that. It works a treat. And sometimes the techies actually learned something. And admitted it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
nzmoko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a habit of ensuring that when I hire a problem manager, technical experience is not a pre-requisite (in my decision analysis objectives, technical experience is weighted a lowly 3 out of 10).

Problem Managers that aren't technical facilitate well, influence well and stay out of the content.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a technically clueless problem manage is awesome. Then he/she will be asking all these tech geeks - "please explain! Oh, and document your explanation so that when it turns out that you've been feeding me all this BS regarding the resolution I can hang it all back on you" Twisted Evil

But seriously, what others said.
morticia

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem Managers that are technically clueless

Yes, I resemble that remark Laughing
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Managers that are technically clueless Reply with quote

Landerson wrote:

Typical techie snobbery Embarassed
morticia

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Landerson wrote:

If I worked in your organisation, I would raise a Problem Record concerning the level of literacy in the technical staff Wink
noneforit

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how good your technical staff are at what they do.

In an indeal world, 'techies' should all be experts in their field
In reality it rarely works like this due to lack of experience and training due to inexperience or failure to invest properly in staff

I have found that (in Problem or MI meetings) some technical staff simply pretend they know the answer when in reality they actually don't

Techies don't seem to like to say the phrase 'I don't actually know'

In this scenario where either your technical people are not actually as good at their jobs as they are meant to be or just dont know the answer, having a technical understanding is always a bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: