Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: cq8mgbew
New Today: 46
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 143536

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 2
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Customer Priority in Web/eService Logging Tool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customer Priority in Web/eService Logging Tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mymickie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Customer Priority in Web/eService Logging Tool Reply with quote

Hi,

We are asking our customer mainly to log their incidents using Web based applications.
In the SLA we are mentioning severity levels (providing definition and recovery targets).
How customer when logging the case should define their priority (Impact and/or urgency) and how this indication should fit in our prioritization model?
How customers can raise the attention of the Service ddesk if the impact is getting worse? or the incident is becoming more urgent?
I'm still not clear which concept (imapct/urgency) applies to the customer point of view?

Bye - Thanks
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Levels of priority should be negotiated, agreed with the customer and then documented in th Service Level agreement. Now if it is there already then you have a reference and things will become much easier, what you need to do here is raise awareness to the customer on how priorities differ. But my only concern here is that if you let the customer filter and log the tickets by themself then what assures you that they dont log all the tickets as Priority1? have you thought of that.. My advice is that only certain people should have authority to do that from the Customer side. You should train those people to log a ticket in a way that support can understand, differentiate between the priorities and also give them permessions to change the priority in your case that if a higher impact was found.

Now it comes down to the toolset that you have to do the other things that you requested and to tailor those incidents/requests. For example: If customer XYZ decides to change an incident prom priority 3 to priority 1 the tool will automatically send an e-mail to support informing them that this incident has been raised from Priority 3 to 1, you can also set threshold alerts, but as I said before that depends on the toolset you have in place.

Quote:
I'm still not clear which concept (imapct/urgency) applies to the customer point of view?

Can you please clarify the quoted sentence.

Regards,

TCO
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mymickie,

do you mean customer or do you mean user?

It is entirely appropriate for your customer to determine priority in.

It is not appropriate for a user to determine priority unless that user is in a special position with regard to the particular service (for example a service which is, at that time, known/deemed to be critical beyond all other services).

In many organizations it is unlikely that all users can even provide clear quantified impact and urgency information without dialogue. Some incidents may lend themselves to predetermined classification, but in many cases the same incident will have varying impact and urgency depending on when it happens or to whom it happens, for example.

It may be best to require voice contact or other form of dialogue for anything that the user feels is more than normally important. Perhaps the user should immediately telephone at the time they record the incident in the system in these cases.

This will have the added advantage of instilling confidence in the user that the response will be appropriate and it will also be a dampener on exaggerated claims.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
mymickie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for both of answers
Let me give more details
The helpdesk I'm working with is considered as a 2nd level helpdesk in the support organization of my company. Either we have our own 1st level helpdesk (employees of my company) or we let our customers having their own 1st level who will then contact our 2nd level helpdesk if the incident is due to our products/IT infrastructure. Our policy is then to limit the number of direct calls to the 2nd level heldpesk and escalation should be only done via a Web portal where the 1st level helpdesk can log and track reported incidents.
The system today is using mainly 4 level of severity and sometimes a notion of urgency intriduced to help prioritize the backlog of our 3rd Level.
My mission is to review all this as today it is not harmonized at all and our 2nd level Helpdesk has difficulty sometimes to assess the priority of the incident and apply the right rules.
One difficulty they are facing is that the customer via the web portal tool has accessed to the priority given to the incident and thus expect their SLAs to be met.
SLA have also to be reviewed in my company! Wink
Not all our customers have dedicated SLAs

For example one customer has an SLA saying that if the severity (impact) is critical we have 90 minutes to recover and if it is a Serious severity we have 6 hours. here there is no notion of Urgency

Like you suggested, if we were over the phone we could agree on a Priority but unfortunately this is not the case... So what should we ask during the incident logging ask this customer to dedine an impact and an urgency? or only an impact as we are only mentioning this in the SLA?
Knowing that more than one customer can report the same incident, should we display our priority (results of an severity / urgency)?
When is the urgency define?

Thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick point I'll repeat from other discussions. Having an SLA that prescribes time-to-fix for individual incidents is a hostage to fortune. It is not what an SLA should be about.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: