Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: HDymock
New Today: 24
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 141845

People Online:
Visitors: 47
Members: 2
Total: 49 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Advice from ones who have already traveled this road...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice from ones who have already traveled this road...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usf2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Advice from ones who have already traveled this road... Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to go for my certification this year, because of work and my child I can't do the class setting. I'm going to try the self study way.

For those are doing or have gone through the self study route.

1. What books/resources did you find helpful?

2. Did you have previous exposure to the ITIL method? (I ask this because although I'm not certified I've used ITL for ~4 yrs. So I'm not a newbie to the idea but I have done some research and know that there are some aspects of ITIL that I haven't had to use before.)

3. How much time in a day/week did you commit to studying?

4. How much time in total did it take you?

5. If you've done the self study and the class setting what did you find different (pros and cons)?

6. What level of ITIL certification are you at and how long did it take you to get there?

(My plan is to use forums/blogs/articles/etc as referrences along with the books. )

Thank you for your responses.

Regards, USF2000
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What level are you studying for specifically?
usf2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to start from the beginning ITIL Foundation and then just follow the steps to the next level.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how helpful I am going to be because I followed a different route. I initially got certified in v2 and then did my v3 foundations. It was pretty easy because while conceptually v3 is structured differently, the processes and elements of the processes that migrated from v2 remained the same more or less. But as somebody who didn't have previous exposure, you'd probably need to invest a decent amount of time going through the books (boring as hell, be warned) and getting the concepts.

If doing a class is not an option, i would still recommend at least having somebody give you a good overview of the v3... somebody who works in the subject matter area. Buy them a good lunch.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usf,

First of all, welcome to the forums. Before we start answering your questions, do you even know what ITIL is? why did you decide to study it? are you going for v2 or v3?

Regards,

TCO
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our online V3 course we recommend 20 - 25 days, covering the course, doing the quizzes and the mock exam.
Some days you may only have 30 minutes, other days a couple of hours.
The recommended number of study hours is 18. A classroom course is 3 days
usf2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

Thanks for the replies and welcoming me.

Yes- I know what ITIL is. I use it quite a bit in my day to day position. But my experience is mainly in the delivery of the service. I know I have to study. Just trying to plan this out as best I can.

ITLv3 vs itil v2? - I'm planning on v3 as it's the latest but service is service. Plus from what I can figure out the basis of the concepts are the same, difference is in the way it's structured and adding a few here and there to call v2, v3.

take care...
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently done a V3 intermediate exam, having done Foundation several years ago. I found that sample exam papers were very useful, especialy if you can also lay your hands on the answers and rationales.
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: