Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: E40Y
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139301

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 2
Total: 72 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Career
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Career

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Career Reply with quote

Hey Buddies - Need some expert guidance. I have around 15 yrs experience in the application development/software programming world. Currently am a senior project manager. I have a job offer to join as a remote infrastructure manager with one of the top outsourcers. From what I have read on the net the field does seem very interesting and in my opinion could give me a broader view of the IT industry. Wanted to know if this would be a good move from a career perspective. Do you know of anybody who has made such a change. Appreciate your advice.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the lap of the gods. No one else's experience is relevant to you unless you have a very good understanding of them and their aptitudes etc.

If you do not understand the job you are being offered well enough to judge its suitability, then you must:

a) reject it
or
b) accept it while keeping a contingency plan in mind
or
c) plunge straight in, trusting your prospective employer's faith in you for the role. I did that once with considerable success, but I had far less than 15 years under my belt at the time.

You need to think about where you see yourself further down the track. Presumably, since you are considering this at all, you are unclear about your prospects down your present path.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had your name / alias, I would first try to deal with the general jobs issues what with the unemployment rate hovering around 10%

my next comment is

can you do the job ?

Do you have the skills - either by osmosis or other things that you can do that role - which way out side your defiend skill set

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Obama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Diarmid and UKVIKING for your quick responses and the desire to help. I think I should give more details. I have been doing project/program management with large teams under me for the last 7 years. The offered role is that of remote application/middleware management and the new company is OK with me not having the infrastructure IT background as they need a person who is strong on client management, people management and has the ability to quickly learn on the job. All three they are convinced I have based on my past experience and the interviews. While speaking to some experienced people around I got to know that there are very few if not nil managers who have moved from application development to application/infrastructure management.....hence wanted to know if anybody out there has made such a switch and how do they find this world. do let me know if you need more information. Thanks again for the help.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started out as a programmer and moved via tech support roles into infrastructure management and service management.

Until recently development people thought they were the bees knees in IT (many still do) and so its not surprising that they never aspired to something closer to the real world.

You pays your money and takes your chance either way.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually

I do know of one who has done it.. but he went the other way and back again

One of good friends managed the DC, then went coding, then back to DC management. He used what he knew in both areas to make sure the DC processes were well automated and he played the devil advocate when sales weenie came by with the shiny buttons .

While others went oooooh shiny....., he went ... but the emperor has no clothes if the tool was not up to his specs

That may be the best benefits coming from the apps side, you know what can be done, could be done, should be done as well as what should not be done tool / automation wise and all of the hidden things

My advice is as follows

if you tell them your background and are up front with your lack of facilites mgmt experience / dc experience and they still want you, then go for it. You did your due diligence as a professional

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good advice guys. Couldn't have said it better myself...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: