Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LSison
New Today: 8
New Yesterday: 71
Overall: 139497

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 4
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - IT training for Root Cause Analysis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IT training for Root Cause Analysis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff_canada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: IT training for Root Cause Analysis Reply with quote

Hi there

Does anyone have any suggestions for training courses for Root cause analysis. My company is looking to leverage training in root cause methodologies. This would be used to train SMEs in IT areas so that each group is following a similar methodology

Does anyone know of any good training course that are IT centric that they can recommend?

Thanks
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is no way to teach Root cause analysis as it depends on what you are looking for

most of the time you are merely looking at this bit or the other bit blah blah

it is puzzle that has to be solved

Sudoko anyone

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Geoff_canada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...

While I agree each problem will be different, there are techniques used to help facilitate effective rca (ie kepner-tregoe).

Just wondering if anyone has any past experience with any of these types of offerings on the market etc
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

I also doubt that there is a training for root cause analysis. There are different ways that are easy to understand if you just google:" Ishikawa, root cause, kepner trego" and you will find loads of examples of root cause methods that you can benefit from. You can also contact me on linked in and I can provide you with some useful documents. In my opinion Identifying root cuase is a skill that has to be devloped not taught.

Regards,
Ali Makahleh
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
nzmoko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: KT Reply with quote

Geoff_canada wrote:
Thanks...

While I agree each problem will be different, there are techniques used to help facilitate effective rca (ie kepner-tregoe).

Just wondering if anyone has any past experience with any of these types of offerings on the market etc

KT is indeed a process to identify the RC of a problem (in anything, including people). This is done by using a systematic process to identify possible causes via knowledge and experience. When you have too many or no possible causes using knowledge and experience, distinctions and changes are used to develop possible causes. Either way, possible causes are then tested against the problem specification to identify the most probable cause.

When an unstructured approach to RC identification is used often the person doing the work has difficulty translating to another person what it is they are doing. Also, conducting your RCA a different way every time will waste time and will (and I say this from bitter experience), lead you down the wrong path.

I facilitated a KT Problem Analysis workshop and left my problem specification on the white-board. A day later, someone came into the room, looked at the specification and said "I've seen this issue before..."

It's that kind of repeatable systematic process and visible thinking that jogs peoples' memories. Pushing KT out to all facets of your IT shop and indeed the business will get your organisation speaking the same language.

I am a Kepner Tregoe Program Leader "ITSM Problem and Incident Management" (one of only a handful in the world). Best thing I ever did.
DJR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: RCA Training Reply with quote

Geoff
Try a company called ThinkReliability. When looking for good training courses I came across this one based in the US. Too expensive for us to transport them over to the UK but I read up on how they cause mapped the sinking of the Titantic and found a lot of good stuff.

We did end up using a UK based company but they really just re-taught us about the quality tools we'd all already learned during six sigma training.

If you can get your head around what TR do then I'm sure you will find it very useful. I did!!
DJR
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

Hope you have taken tests in ITIL. When I took the test, I actually did the root cause analysis. I got the right answers and I did so by eliminating the not so right answers. Root cause is based on law of elimination. When we are eliminating a cause we answer at least 5 whys why we are eliminating the cause .20% of the issues are the causes of 80% of problems. Thus spake Wilfredo Pareto and this is all six sigma. I hope that your oranization's ITSM solution provides root cause extension nodes linked with the CIs and the issue description. This will make your job easier as the root extension nodes in the ITSM solutions are derived from the historical MIs on the Problems in the past.

Vivek
"the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"
Winston Churchill
Puskar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzmoko,

I am in the process of implementing the KT technique in my organisation. I need some guidelines for this. Do you think it could be applied for all problem statements?
Puskar

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the KF training for ITRCA and I should say it is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: