Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: IFelder
New Today: 13
New Yesterday: 48
Overall: 146041

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 1
Total: 65 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SM7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SM7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markhayes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: SM7 Reply with quote

Hi, has anyone here implemented this tool? We are moving from a (loosely based) itil service management tool to SM7 which will include the new extended phased approach to change management and was I was wondering what experinces people here have had in implementing SM7?

Ty
tomkin
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tool are you using right now ? Then we can compare the two.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markhayes,

First of all get the requirement from teh stakeholders, staff, customers, users etc. get their input on what they require and desire. Afterwards compare those requirements with the tool. Is it fit for purpose if yes then ask for a demo, install the software in your enviroment and test every aspect of it. Me & others on this community could tell you that its an excellent tool. However when you present it for your company they will say its crap and it doesnt meet the requirements and objectives, or maybe its over budget or too complex etc...
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about HP's SM7? The poster above is right... get the requirements first. I am betting you will be able to find a much cheaper tool out there. Thing about TCO.
markhayes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input guys.

We're implementing SM7 at the moment, moving from Remedy 6. The way we handle changes is going to change drastically with the phased approach to change management that SM7 brings. So really I was just after some impressions of the tool from people who have used it.

Ty
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markhayes,

since you are already committed to SM7 and you already know how you are going to use it, I'm not sure what value can be got from other people's impressions of it (unless you just want to commiserate together - you could set up a user group for that).

Quote:
The way we handle changes is going to change drastically with the phased approach to change management that SM7 brings

I hope that's part of why you bought it and not the other way round. And I hope you already have your revised processes developed before day one.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
markhayes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye we’re committed to it but it’s been quite a difficult implementation that’s 1 year past its due date but I am just after some user impression of improvements to the change process or any useful lessons learned etc.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mark, my consistent line on that question is that other people's recounted experience won't help you and may even confuse or damage your decisions. Unless, of course, you know about their context in detail and are able to map it to your own situation. But that is almost impossible to achieve because there must be more than a dozen crucial variables to compare.

If you can find a user group, you can share some of the technical aspects of the tool (how to get it to do something, for example). But it is the effectiveness of your processes that is paramount and that can only be looked at hands-on.

Perhaps you need a pair of knowledgeable outside eyes to look at it for a week or a month or a year?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

I was involved in SM implementation in the past... you need a consultant? Wink

OOOh, oooh... 200th post!!! WOO!!! GO TIMO!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: