Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: CYXP
New Today: 33
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146543

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 1
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Creating Maintenance Windows
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating Maintenance Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingtubby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Creating Maintenance Windows Reply with quote

Greetings. I've been tasked with trying to find guidance within ITIL on how best to structure maintenance windows for our managed hosting operation. All I've learned thus far is that ITIL recommends that maintenance windows be a part of the change management process, but should they be product based or grouped along with lines of business?

Apparently, some of our customers dont like that fact that our SLA's are not enforced during our established maintenance windows and our COO is looking for some ITIL way to justify this.

We all know that ITIL is very high level and so I don't expect to find step by step instructions, but thus far I haven't been able to find ANYTHING that I can take back to my management team except to say, "No, this doesnt exist".

Anybody, anybody...Bueller?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT

There is nothing in ITIL about scheduled maintenance windows

This should be dealt with by 1) the Change management policy, 2) the Service level management process, 3) the Change Board policy

and it is more of an operational issue and a SLA issue too about have these things

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Creating Maintenance Windows Reply with quote

kingtubby wrote:
our SLA's are not enforced during our established maintenance windows

There is something singularly illogical here. First I will assume that by "enforced" you mean "necessarily met".

But that does not scratch the surface. If you have agreed a service level for a period of time, then that is what you have agreed. Your customer(s) have you over a barrel if you cannot meet the agreement.

Who calculated your service capability without taking into account the necessity of taking reducing services for the performance of necessary maintenance?

As I see it you have a choice between investing in sufficient infrastructure to hold levels of service even during maintenance or renegotiate your SLA.

If you are contracting (even in the loosest sense) to deliver a service then you need to agree the duration, frequency and time-windows for any work that reduces the service levels from those otherwise agreed.

The fact that maintenance activity has at least a potential for involving changes is a bit of a red herring.

Now for the really bad news. It's not just, as John said, that ITIL does not provide guidance at this level.

No. No. No.

Since ITIL is guidance, and only guidance, it does not contain the authority to justify anything. Ever.

You can never say "this is correct and that is incorrect because ITIL says so". You can merely say "ITIL suggests this approach".
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Inhisgrace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Windows Reply with quote

"There is nothing in ITIL about scheduled maintenance windows" - UKVIKING

While ITIL does not address Scheduled Maintenance Windows specifically it does promote a scheduled Change and Release window..

."Pre-agreed and established change and release windows help an organization improve the planning and throughput of changes and releases. For example a release window in a maintenance period of one hour each week may be sufficient in install minor releases only. Major releases may need to be scheduled with the business and stakeholders at a pre-determined time

[/quote]
asrilrm
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think there should be a clear understanding about maintenance windows.
I realized that people often associate maintenance windows with change and release, while they are not directly related (at least in my understanding).
Maintenance window is a slot (agreed by related parties) where it is safe to bring down a system to do maintenance. It does not necessary mean that there will be any change or release. However, changes and release would usually find any maintenance windows as the safest time slot for deployment.
I agree with Viking, in my experience, there is no specific guidance for maintenance windows. In fact, this is something tricky that should involve, provider, customer and supplier.
For example, 24-hour transaction base systems would hardly find time slot for maintenance than batch or non-transaction based system

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Asril
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Creating Maintenance Windows Reply with quote

kingtubby wrote:

Apparently, some of our customers dont like that fact that our SLA's are not enforced during our established maintenance windows and our COO is looking for some ITIL way to justify this.
Anybody, anybody...Bueller?

Kingtubby - Would be interested to know what level of system availability you have agreed with your customers.
SubbuA
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Maintanance Windows Reply with quote

By now, you have got an answer on what maintanance window is and what is ijn ITIL for it..

Now operationally speaking, Maintatance windows alighned to business lines works better for all application related areas... ifyour organization is global then need to explicitly define the maintatance window for each region as the impact would be different

Per your maintatance window, you should be able to formulate your release calander so that both is in sync....

there would already be a maintatance window scheduled by few business lines... design one so as to make less disturbance in the current system....

Try having a specific maintanance window (approx 2 weekends) for infra every month considering the frequency of changes which need the maintanance window...

Don't dig deep into ITIL for maintatance window - because it seriously is an operational decision on how to have them and change management looks at this a good practise to have them for sure
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating Maintenance Windows Reply with quote

symond93 wrote:
The Change management policy,the Service level management process, the Change Board policy ,The fact that maintenance activity has at least a potential for involving changes is a bit of a red herring.Maintenance window is a slot (agreed by related parties) where it is safe to bring down a system to do maintenance. It does not necessary mean that there will be any change or release.

And as such it needs to be articulated in appropriate SLAs rather than treated as an exception to the SLA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: