Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: BBuley
New Today: 16
New Yesterday: 62
Overall: 141991

People Online:
Visitors: 74
Members: 1
Total: 75 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: ITIL question Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got an ITIL question for the first time. I am not sure what I've been asking and responding for the last 3 years in this forum. My question is why ITIL is expanded as IT Infrastructure library? Shouldn't it be called IT Information library? My key pad can get stuck any moment and i'll call up the Service Desk, they'll send me a tech who'll change this thingy and update in the ITAM database. Then I might feel that the girlie next to me has a mouse which blinks and by all means i want one of the sort. i rang up the Service desk and the guy advised me to raise a SR.

My question is : Are we only trying TIL (Technology Information library) while Infrastructure sounds like the optical blinking mouse?

Vivek
"the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"
Winston Churchill
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, am happy to take any bashings for the question. We have some folks who'll kill to respond to anything. Give some attention to this one. This is an ITIL question

Vivek
Winston Churchill
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all thinking of the most creative ways to respond. Give us some time.
Mind you, I have been wondering too why the Infrastructure was there. In my experience, ITIL has been a focus of IT management practices, where most efforts are focused on processes rather than infrastructure, even though infrastructure is a crucial part. Anyway... maybe I need to look up definition for "infrastructure".
rpmason
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ITIL should be Infrastructure Topeka Information Library?
viv121
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: ITIL question Reply with quote

Timo,

I actually got into the dictionary to find out some meanings of insfrastucture. The below are the definitions.

1. The basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization.
2.the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or area, as transportation and communication systems, power plants, and schools.
3.the military installations of a country.

I guess I am able to answer and confuse myself. The first definition might just stand true. ITIL could be underlying framework for the service management practices which we are aware. My small request of optical mouse could be traced track to request fullfillment which is there are a process because it is strategised, designed, operated in such a manner. Infrastructure here could be the framework which governs the five publications. But if infrastructure is same as the framework, then why the framework doesn't replace infrastructure. If it does, it will sound like Information technology Framework library (ITFL) or IT Service Management Framework Library (ITSMFL). Wow, sounds quite close to ITSMf. Think on the lines of the other two definitions of infrastructure. Infrastructure could be the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or area, as transportation and communication systems, power plants, and schools.
and the military installations of a country but framework could not be the same.
OGC might be the right forum to post this question but you guys are super and I really see more responses coming. I didn't mind Topeka even but I'll not dig deep into this RP.

Vivek
Winston Churchill
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you are all just far too young to understand.

Names always have a historical origin and often what they represent becomes remote or divorced from the name. That is what has happened in this case.

When ITIL was developed it was an IT Infrastructure Library. The management suite consisted of ten slim volumes in an ITIL set of 39 books, many being much larger than any of the ten. The others covered such esoteric topics as designing a computer room, cabling, and many other practical aspects of managing computers. Notwithstanding various web descriptions, v2 did not boil these 39 volumes down to 2 (plus a few others). V2 discarded the bulk of the scope and transformed ITIL into service management guidance which, as far as I know, was the only part of the original set that led to the generation of training courses and widespread publicity.

Since the other areas were more closely linked to specific technologies, maintaining them would require frequent rewrites in completely different terms whereas the service management of the original ITIL is still there in v3, with elaboration, modification and additional explication (and probably some other -ations as well).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: