Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DavidStocks
New Today: 35
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 144591

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 1
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Known Error Database - setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Known Error Database - setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Illyrianth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Known Error Database - setup Reply with quote

I have been reading these forums with great interest and would like to thank y'all for the information already gleaned from the various threads.

I have decided to take the plunge and ask a question which I am hoping against hope someone might be able to assist me with.

Bit of explanation...having come from a non-technical, Call Management background, I now find myself employed as a Problem Manager, a brand spanking new role - new team in fact. We're expected to implement ITIL compliant Problem Management within a large organisation which has not previously had it and which apparently has very few people trained/certified in ITIL. As Problem Management is the only area in the business so far asked to be ITIL compliant, you can imagine it's all going to be a bit of an uphill struggle. Shocked

I am not ITIL qualified/certified Embarassed , although I have gone through all of the company-provided ITIL softskills training programmes and have even been lucky enough to get my hands on all five of the core volumes which I am wading my way through. Obviously, my understanding is imperfect, which is why I am looking to others to hopefully share their experience and pointers to help me along.

One of many things which I understand I am going to need, will be a Known Error Database.

At present, the KEDB will need to be standalone and something which we update manually and get published out to the business (particularly call managers and techs) for them to see and (hopefully) use. We wanted to use Access for this, although it would be really great to either get some ideas on how to make it look/function OR ditch the idea of writing my own database altogether and buy in ready-made software.

If anyone could let me know of any such software or even templates for this sort of thing, I would be grateful. So far, searches online have only turned up bundled services which I haven't a hope in hell of convincing the business to buy if they are only going to use one section of it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Illyrianth on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illyrianth,

some initial points come to mind.

1. Clarify in your mind and then in your management's mind what you mean by "ITIL compliant". Because there is no such thing as compliance to ITIL per se.

2. Stop worrying about KEDB until you have a strategy and a plan - you don't want to build your procedures around a KEDB. Start by defining the purpose and objectives of your problem management process, relating them to policies and objectives of your service management system.

3. Do not buy tools until you can specify them properly! You need a view as to where your service management system is going longer term. It could be a disaster to buy a tool perfected for your Problem Management if it is a poor fit for the rest of the functions when they get developed. So if you need tools before the big plan, you probably want cheap and cheerful rather than perfect so that you can through them away later if need be.

4. It would be useful to understand why problem management has been singled out for improvement at this time. Look at the maturity of other processes as they stand right now and work out how that impacts on problem management.

5. Don't forget to define very clearly what constitutes a problem to be managed before you draw up the pathways for raising and progressing said problems.

6. Obviously there is some tactical stuff to do with getting allies and evangelists around you as you try to sell your improvements.

To help you, a) keep seeking out topics here especially the ones where two or three of the veterans have joined in, and b) sign up at linkedin and join at least the following groups:

ITIL v2 / v3 Service Management (ITSM) and ISO 20000
The ITIL Group
ITSM (ITIL) Professionals
ITIL V2&V3 (5000+)

...and look through some of the discussions from the last few months. you need to wrestle with the real world more than with the ITIL books.

Finally, make a case for bringing in a consultant and email me while I'm still free(ish).
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Illyrianth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diarmid and thanks for the speedy response - must admit, I was expecting to have to wait ages for someone to be able to get a chance to respond Smile

We're using the term "ITIL compliant" as an internal description of what we are trying to do, as in, setting up Problem Management at all in the first place. It's something we know isn't an accurate term, but was the best fit we could come up with, since they can't tell their customers that I hold ITIL certification as it would be untrue.

We've managed to hammer out the objectives over the past month and a half, helped a great deal by work done a good 18 months ago when the whole Problem Management question was first raised within the business.

Ideally, I want to create my own Access database for the KEDB, but it would be useful for me to see an existing one, solely for making it look "pretty" as it were. I need inspiration for how to make it look, most of all. Sounds daft, possibly, but what appeals to me might not necessarily be the best way to present to other people.

As to the why for Problem Management at this time, it is quite simply that the business wants it and it has been promised it to a customer. It's now up to my team to make it happen.

I'l be taking your advice and looking about on LinkedIn etc and yes, it would be nice to look outside the books for five minutes. I swear, some of that information is seared on to my eyeballs but still isn't quite clicking in my brain Sad

As to emailing you in as a consultant - believe me, if I thought I could get away with it, I would already have done so! I even have to pay for my own ITIL examination if I want to get the (apparently) all-important bit of paper! Crying or Very sad

Thanks again for your response, I'll keep plodding on and see how it all turns out...I do of course, retain the right to come screaming back to the forums in a blind panic reading anything and everything I can click on if it all goes pear shaped and begging for help! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: