Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VYKP
New Today: 54
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150103

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 2
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Hosting Third Party Servers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hosting Third Party Servers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulfixter
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Hosting Third Party Servers Reply with quote

Our organisation will shortly be hosting servers for other similar third party organisations in our data centres.

Should I record them as CIs on our CMDB?

The servers do not belong to us, we do not use them in any way, shape or form, but they are located in data centres that we own.

I can see both sides of the argument. We should record them in order to know what kit we have on our premises, but others say that the "owners" of the servers will already have them in their CMDB so we do not need to duplicate the records.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Paul
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CMDB is there to support processes to manage your IT infrastructure.

If you do not need any processes to manage these servers then they don't need to be in your CMDB.

However i cannot believe the above is realistic. Now these have been implemented, surely you are going to have to do some work on these servers at some stage in the future.

I think you probably haven't defined the processes for managing these servers, and therefore not defined what needs to be in the CMDB. These are probably going to be different from the information you store for your own servers, but I really cannot believe that you need to store nothing.
paulfixter
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

We will never do any work opn these servers ourselves as they are not ours and do not hold any data or services used by us.
The only time they might be affected by work we are doing or coordinating is if we take the power down.

Even then, it will be the server owners responsibility to tell their users of any outages, but we will need to give the owners a "heads up" of any planned or unplanned outages.

However you are quite right, the processes for managing the servers need to be finalised. For example, when the third party comes to our data centres to work on thier servers, they cannot just turn up, they need to make an appointment and be accompanied by one of our staff. Things like this need formally documenting.

We will therefore have a list of owners, but I'm still not clear whether we necessarily need a seperate CI for someone elses individual servers in our CMDB.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

your CMDB supports your service delivery. What services do you deliver via these third party servers?

I was in a similar situation once and our techies started rubbing their hands at the prospect of having a different OS to get their hands on. But the arrangement was more of a "dark room" situation and they were kept well back. Our responsibility was to maintain the environment (largely air-conditioning, electricity and physical security) and allow access for the owners engineers and techies.

Of course you need to have a formal management arrangement, but if you put such servers in your CMDB you may have to identify them there as non-assets associated with no services and subject only to environmental processes. It will be more complicated if they share any of your comms services.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add

If you are providing hosting services to them - ie Datacentre space, then you need to have them added to what every service tool manage that service because they are YOUR customers

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
paulfixter
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your replies. They confirm pretty much what I wanted to do but I was getting "resistance" from elsewhere. I'll tell 'em.

Many thanks
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: