Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: PSchoonov
New Today: 62
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139875

People Online:
Visitors: 75
Members: 0
Total: 75

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ģ ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Just a translation issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a translation issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexanderff

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Just a translation issue Reply with quote

Hi.

Could someone explains me the following statement? I couldn't make any satisfatory translation...

It's about the challenges in the service management, in the book Service Strategy, End of the page 31 and starting the 32.

"The perishable nature of service output and service capacity: there is
value for the customer in receiving assurance that the service will continue to be supplied with consistent quality. Providers need to secure a steady supply of demand from customers."

Thanks!
Alexander
Brazil
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By perishable nature they mean that unlike supplying goods, which can be manufactured in advance, and held i store for busy times, supplying a service means that you need to be able to supply that service consistently, including at busy times. For example, a Service Desk service has to be able to be provided at the busiest times, being quiet at other times is no help!. In order to be able to deliver this consistency, we ned to have a commitment as to the steadiness of the demand.
Best I can do - it makes little sense even if English is your first language!
Hope it helps
alexanderff

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's clear enough to me.

Thank you!!!

But... I promisse I won't get used to ask for translations here, but could you confirm if I've done right below, just this last time (it's in the same topic)?

Code:
High-level of contact for producers and consumers of services: little or no
buffer between the customer, the front-office and back-office.

It means: if I need a service I just take the phone and ask to the producer. It's different in other areas where the producer has some layers of deployment.

Code:
Demand is tightly coupled with customerís assets: users and other
customer assets such as processes, applications, documents and
transactions arrive with demand and stimulate service production.

It means that... ok, it's a mistery... first I thought it means that the production is based in consumer resources (if the client has more resources- money -, so he can get more services), but it doesn't make any sense...

[]'s
Alexander
Brazil
Code:
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one - you are correct - the supplier has no warehouse stocks or similar - he wants an engineer now, or whatever, and you cannot stockpile engineering hours.

Second one - God Knows! Anyone else want to attempt it?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Demand is complicated and production gets a kick out of it"

"Things happen when there is demand and that leads to the service being delivered (or being lifted from a hat by its long ears).

[Who needs detail?]

It might mean that you can't have demand unless it is associated with customer resources, but that is a tautology.

It might mean, as an example, that if a user logs in to a service, that service is goaded into action.

All in all, I prefer Liz' interpretation.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
tsh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: demand and customer assets Reply with quote

Code:
Quote:

Demand is tightly coupled with customerís assets: users and other
customer assets such as processes, applications, documents and
transactions arrive with demand and stimulate service production.

I understand this pointing towards customer's actual assets that are underpinned by IT services that enable to release the value they would not otherwise be able to deliver with the assets they have invested in.

For example, in a logistics company these assets may be the trucks and the order processing process they have had running since the times of horse carriages. Now you enable the customer to get more value out of their own assets by offering a logistics IT service including order tracking, sign in / signout of goods, route info, loading information etc - so you have all the people, non-it equipment and non-it processes that are supported by your IT services.

This example came into my mind from one occasion in Aschaffenburg where we jammed a German motorway back in 2003. It was a very wet summer and one network node was flooded the day we had our SAP roll-out for one factory there. They could not print out the information about what to put in which truck (which used to be a manual process earlier). Well, now things are already running much better there.

I hope this interpretation is close to the thinking these guys had in mind when writing this book. I also hope this helps you to figure it out.

Timo[/quote][/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: