Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ABurks
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 85
Overall: 139414

People Online:
Visitors: 62
Members: 1
Total: 63 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL lite
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL lite
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DYbeach
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nacerix, in my previous job to this one, I started off Change Management with a change calendar on an Excel spreadsheet. We used a word template for change requests until we finally got budget approval for a tool. The beauty of having to 'make do' is that once you finally get a tool, everyone is really excited.
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was once advised (by one of the self proclaimed authors of ITIL no less) that every organisation or sub unit needs to do two things:

1. Define its purpose. What services does it provide customers?
2. Capture metrics to demonstrate that you delivering this service.

Therefore can you succinctly document which services you provide to your customers? I am concerned that in a dept with a reduced budget you may spend a lot of time reacting to events as opposed to defining which events whould happen.

After you have done this determine what you need to capture to demonstrate that you are delivering this service (and it naturally follows that you can then start demonstrating service improvements, but this is a long way ahead)

I don't think this has been manetioned yet so I'll say the starting point for all of this will be a logical (or even a physical) "service desk" - To get all demand for your services through a single central point where each can be logged. You don't need systems to do this - a pen and paper may suffice - it is more the cultural change to get all contacts through a single point. You can then monitor demand, and control your resource as it will only be deployed if it has gone through a central hub.

i think you can then begin to follow the advice suggested in detail in all the other threads about defining / refining processes to deliver ongoing improvements....

I am probably going to break protocol here and ask...What went wrong during the Cameroon vs. Japan game? I had you in the office sweepstake to win 2-0.
nacerix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these encouraging and pratical advices. That's exactly what I was looking for. I would try them and see how things go on and share what I will learn here.
Thank you very much.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time for some impractical advice

1 - try not to change the world in doing the ITSM ITIl
2 - try to get the people to write better tickets, communication, talk to other groups and work together to solve the issue

have periodic meetings - email meeting, physical,virtual - to discuss

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Marcel
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your concern is that ITIL is too "heavy" for the relatively small local organizations that you are dealing with, then you may want to consider looking at FITS. FITS stands for Framework for ICT Technical Support, is based on ITIL, but geared towards smaller organizations, specifically in the field of education. FITS was developed in the UK and has a very pragmatic approach. Like with any best practices framework, you have to pick and choose what works best for you ("whose best practices are these anyway?"), but if ITIL seems intimidating then FITS might be a more appropriate starting point without discarding many of the valid ITIL concepts. FITS does not seem to be widely known outside the UK, but heck, neither was ITIL 20 years ago.

For more information and lots of free resources check out the FITS Foundation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: