Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: WLyz
New Today: 45
New Yesterday: 65
Overall: 148001

People Online:
Visitors: 78
Members: 1
Total: 79 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - 3 observations of the V2 SM Exam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 observations of the V2 SM Exam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AjayKD

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: 3 observations of the V2 SM Exam Reply with quote

Just back from the SS exam, three things :

1. The knowledge required to write the SM exam becomes vast if the answers need to reference the case study

2. Inappropriate time management will result in the answers shortening as one progresses in the exam

3. Given enough time, a wannabe SM can think of answers for all the questions but it requires comprehensive ITIL knowledge and experience to do it in three hours

These are my 2 cents; apologies if they have been mentioned earlier...
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AjayKD

There are several posts by myself and others who have taken the exam that basically state the same thing

they are listed in posted about the V2 exam

It is not suppose to be an easy exam

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
freestar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Just back from SS ver 2 exam & going to SD next month :( Reply with quote

Hi All ,
This is my first post here , I wished I've seen this site before I attend the exam as it seems useful & you guys are very helpful .
I sat my SS exam yesterday , I had the same comments ,I ran out of time during the exam & I missed one question already , haven't written a word in it , most probably I'll not pass Sad
I'm preparing to attend the SD exam by 10th of August, I need advice of my studying plan , as I already attended the course at the begining of this year .
In the SS exam I read most of the OGC book, but I saw the sample questions very late , just 2 days before the exam, may be this was the reason of not getting confident during the exam & took me long time to answer .
So what do u recommend me to do in this month to increase my probability to pass from the 1st time

I'll be grateful for your advices ,
Many thanks
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two suggestions:-

1. Trawl this forum for other threads which talk about exam tips.

2. Talk to your course provider and ask for assistance (advice / guidance, sample questions, exam techniques etc) in passing the exam.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, one of the most useful things I got out of attending SM training is tips regarding exam strategy - it was like LSAT prep course in a sense Smile

Ah, those were the days.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored 72% for SS and 80% for SD.

simple way to pass in terms of exam technique and preparation is to:

get some miles into your handwriting by:
writing up some notes
doing as many practice questions as possible (and getting your instructor to mark them)

When doing practice exams,
do them under exam conditions:
closed book
3 hours

Manage your time during the exam.
35 mins per question - keep to this strictly, as it is easier to get 10 marks in each question than get 20 in one and zero in another.

Read the exam questions carefully. Only answer the question, not detail all of your knowledge in a certain area.

Scoop up marks efficiently by using tables, bullet points in your answer. Not sentences or paraghaphs unless explicitly asked to do so, or else you will run out of time.

If you're asked to write a short report, format your response accordingly with an exec summary, intro, body, conclusions, appendices.

If you're asked to list something, then make a list.
eg: 10 marks for listing the pros and cons of process X.
to a table with two sides and pros and cons as the heading. Bullet point 5 or 10 points for each (so the examiner can count up your correct points).

Make all of your answers (especially bulleted lists) double spacing so you have room to add more points later. Sometimes you will exhaust your knowledge in question 1, but when you're answering question 4 it might prompt you to remember some new things and you can go back and add more.

Make sure you label all of your sheets correctly.

Go to the bathroom beforehand.

Take a portable clock with you so you don't lose track of time.

I settled my nerves by creating a time schedule at the start of the exam. eg: if the exam is 1000-1300.
Reading time: 1000-1005
Q1. 1005-1040
Q2. 1040-1115
Q3. 1115-1150
Q4. 1150-1225
Q5. 1225-1300
then tick off the timings as you go.

I'll reiterate, 35 mins per question - keep to this strictly, as it is easier to get 10 marks in each question than get 20 in one and zero in another.

Lastly, DON'T PANIC!

Best of luck.
freestar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks TomOzITIL_2 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, these are really helpful advices . I beleive that i was mistaken in the 1st exam as I thought I could have time to read the case again in the exam .. this was very stupid Sad any ways I think in the next one I'll organize my time more
One more question plz , do u advice to finish reading each process & start practicing its question in parrallel with reading others , or shall I finish all the reading then start practicing question ??
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The ten / eleven ITIL v2 "discplines" very rarely sit in isolation, but are mutually supprtive to give a far more robust deliverable. So by all means study a chapter and answer questions immediately afterwards (this should ensure that the information has sunk in), but in an exam / real life situation, your solutions should embrace all appropriate ITIL disciplines. Therefore once you have finished your studying, you revisit your previous answers to ensure that you have answered them fully in terms of all ITIL discplines.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lastly

Make sure you answer the QUESTION that is given

if the question is

What are the benefits of a service desk - list 5

List 5 benefits of the Service desk

be as verbose as possible

And time management is key

What I did is

one sheet for each question

as there are 5 Qs there may be 3 - 4 sub Qs per Q

I spent the first 5 minutes doing that

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: