Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ALithgow
New Today: 37
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146547

People Online:
Visitors: 49
Members: 1
Total: 50 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Is ITIL for any service Manager? any field?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is ITIL for any service Manager? any field?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadchad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Is ITIL for any service Manager? any field? Reply with quote

Dear All,

Im a service manager in the medical equipment industry mainly laboratory equipment, and im thinking to have a certificate as a plus, wht do you suggest can I begin ITIL or its just for IT service manager?

If yes WHY ? please suggest from where i can begin.
if No Why ?

Best Regards
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChadChad,

As you said, yes ITIL is about IT Service Management. However I am not sure if there any generic Service Management certificates but you can try searching.
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
chadchad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thechosenone69,

After some search i found that ITIL no longer stands for anything but is simply the name of the OGC's best practice guidance for Service Management.

Previously, ITIL was an acronym for "IT Infrastructure Library", however with the release of ITIL V3 in May 2007, the definition was removed as the guidance changed its primary focus from IT, to the business as a whole.

But still need your help people, if you know anyone that finished the V3 foundation has he found that its related only to IT" ???
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadchad

ITIL is still IT Infra library

ITIL is for IT (emphasis) service management as a guideline / set of processes / etc

v2 was focused from the IT Service point of view - hence - service delivery and service support

v3 takes that approach and takes IT services from the holistic and business approach as well as IT approach - things like planning etc

ITIL is still for IT

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago I attended a traning provider sponsored event to introduce ITIL3 into the market. The presenter at this event mentioned that although ITIL was originally designed to be IT centric, V3 would be the first step to a more generic service management set of disciplines. He also confirmed that ITIL no longer referred to IT service management but was a word in itself. This latter point may appear trivial but is indicative of where the authors of ITIL want their baby to go.

Chadchad. I have never taken an ITIL3 course, so take what i say with a pinch of salt. However from an ITIL2 founadation perspective, you would need a basic understanding a glossary of IT terms. With some common sense and intelligence you should be able to translate the course into a non IT context, and apply it to your workplace.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that the principles can apply to any technology-based services. Do the ITIL v3 Foundation certificate and form your own judgement.

In fact, I'd suggest that the medical industry would probably already utilise some of the practices (strategy, design, transition, operations, improvement) already, maybe with a different set of terminology.
chadchad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think like TOM that the principles can apply to any technology-based services but what im looking for is some testimonials from you my friends there in any magor other then IT ( medical, electronic ...)

In the end every service needs :strategy, design, transition, operations, improvement.... so please advise me ?

Thanx
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadchad

What do you want us to advise you on ?

This is NOT a career advice site. This is an ITIL site

Do I think you may get something out of the ITIL course if you sit the 3-5 day course and take the exam

Well the training company will definitely get something out - your fees

Should you merely buy the books - all 5 of them ? Maybe maybe not

Should you get the pocket guide to ITIL - usually free on the itSMF site. Sure .. It is usually free or low cost

The relevance of taking the ITIL foundation exam and you being a service manager may also be lost on your comp[any as they may say.. wtf ? why are we spending good money to pay for course work for SMs for ITIL training when it is primarily IT oriented.

My advice.. take project mgmt, take management courses, six sigma, cobit, etc and not ITIL

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadchad

There are a lot of visitors to this forum who see the exams as a badge of honour to enhance their CV's.

There are other visitors who see the exams as something that will enhance their knowledge / experience, which allow them to better at what they do, and ultimately progress to bigger / better things.

If you want to use ITIL to enhance your skills / experience / knowledge / training and see it as an investment in your time, then it would be no bad thing to talk to course providers about your needs and aspirations, with the caveat that you aren't in an IT role and see what they advise.
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought ITIL was for lonely people Embarassed
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadchad wrote:
I actually think like TOM that the principles can apply to any technology-based services but what im looking for is some testimonials from you my friends there in any magor other then IT ( medical, electronic ...)

To answer your question, I'm not aware of any testimonials where the service being managed using the ITIL framework was explicitly non-IT related.

That being said, ITIL v3 seems to have drawn from general business practices, particularly around the Service Strategy and Continuous Service Improvement books. Unfortunately these are probably the clunkiest of the 5 books.

You could also ask the questionof the local itSMF chapter iin your location.
it Service Management Forum.

You can pick up a pocketbook for <USD$25. That will give you some basic terminology.

PS: I'm not sure what a "magor" is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: