Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: DCohen
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 64
Overall: 148294

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 3
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hutch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Change Control Reply with quote

Our IT department is still a little bit away from ITIL implimentation. However, I am actively searching for a solid management of change process. Does anyone have advice?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot depends on what your existing processes consist of.
Do you have a change register for all changes?
Do individual departments have registers?
Is there a daily change meeting?
Are there any change review meetings?
Do existing changes have to have a regression plan?
Do you have a database everyone can access that could form the basis of a change system.

Its easier if the new process overlaps whats already there to begin with.

What changes do you intend to manage - hardware / software / firmware / greyware?

Is everyone signed on to the concept of approving and authorising change requests?

So many questions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no existing process of which to speak. Changes are being made all over and no one is controlling them. Communication is breaking down quickly and frustrations are high as you can imagine.

There is a database set up where changes are recorded. However, I am sure not everyone uses it.

Any thoughts?
TRANSCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs to use the change mgt sysem to regiser any change they are making to the it infrastructure.
They will need to submit their changes at least 5 working dayts in advance - apart from emergency changes that will require an ad hoc change meeting to approve and authorise.
In your case you need to get everyone on board and explain the benefits of the system. better planned changes - less chance of conflicts - better documentation etc,etc.

You also need to set up a change advisory board that will authorise all chnage before they are implemented.

All easy stuff really.

Once you have a register of changes with impact assessments regression plans everyone in the organisation will benefit.
hutch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all very usful information. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

Regards,
JH
TRANSCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem hutch.

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

The mail issue you will face is convincing everyone its the right thing to do. This will help if you get someone with clout to tell them unauthorised changed will not be tollerated. Get the man with the clout to the change advisory board meeting at least once.

I found that the people giving the resistance had small bespoke systems recording their own changes. However once they saw the bigger picture they signed on and all went well.

I ran daily change meetings (nicknamed morning prayers).
and made it fun..... some of the techies went on and on and on
but it was good fun and it worked in reducing badly planned changes
and conflicts with other groups. Planning improved and a more stable environement was created.

All good fun. Wish I was still doing it. Ah well back to jobserve!
hutch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. How do you have daily meetings when you are talking about 9 plants, each with at least one desk side associate, a large data center in one location, and a smaller data center in another location. Each person has their change control system. That is, "I have the admin rights, I am making the change, I am controlling it, therefore, change control is in place."

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Stevieb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change Management in itself is a very simple process. Once established clearly, can run like a dream.
I found the biggest problem was getting but in from support teams....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: