Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RLind
New Today: 32
New Yesterday: 44
Overall: 146542

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 0
Total: 52

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Please Help me Understand - Authorizing the Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help me Understand - Authorizing the Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlmx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Please Help me Understand - Authorizing the Change Reply with quote

4.2.6.2 Create and Record the Request for Change
4.2.6.3 Review the Request for Change
4.2.6.4 Asses and Evaluate the Change
4.2.6.5 Authorizing the Change
4.2.6.6 Coordinating change implementation
4.2.6.7 Review and close the change record

The problem that I am having: if the change involves a enterprise wide software development effort then there are two situations (at a minimum) to assess. The first is changes to customized software. The second is the implementation.

The two may be months apart. So my problem is, based on 13 years of experience in the software industry, it is impractical to pretend that the assessment of the customization and the assessment of the rollout can happen at the same time.

So I suggested to my Manager that, upon completion of the software development process, the RFC should move back through change management (back to 4.2.6.2) for release.

He was a bit upset with that idea.

However, letting the software rollout without a complete evaluation of the impact by a CAB (4.2.6.4) places us at a higher level or risk.

What am I missing in standard 4.2.6?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmlx

you need to separate the sdlc process from the change / release process

once the solution / package has been developed by the developers - and then the CM for deployment starts

This may include test deployments before the approval, etc - which maybe part of evaluation section

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
rlmx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: RFCs Reply with quote

So a change to an in-house, custom software package is not a valid topic for an RFC?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmlx

what i said is that the software development process - whether for in house apps or what ever is outside of Change Management

CM is ultimately concerned with the protections of the production environment
therefore it exists to manage / control / vett any work that will change production - to include software deployments

The CM process has input feeds and output feeds

please look through the threads in the cm forum for more details - you can even search for mine

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RFCs Reply with quote

rlmx wrote:
So a change to an in-house, custom software package is not a valid topic for an RFC?

Correct.

Except for bug fixing (response to incidents).

And except for the special case where the software package in question is part of the service delivery process because then the request for change will have been a request to modify service delivery rather than the functionality of the delivered application service.

Even in these cases, change management does not need to take a hand beyond validating the specified requirement.

actually, as I write this, I come to the conclusion that the answer is that it depends on the relationship with the customer. If all service requirements are managed through the Service Management function, then even application change requests to a third party will be controlled in this way.

However, developing software does not impinge on service. Implementing it does. So the validation of the change in functionality would be passed to the applications development and support function and the implementation would be under ITSM change management. Thus, it is not a case of doing the same thing twice. The first is done largely by a consultation between customer and developer (although the developer has to look to service delivery with respect to performance, capacity and scheduling implications for example). The second is done by consultation between service management, customers and applications support under the firm gaze of the change manager.

It's Sunday. I'm rambling again. Still, I've written it now. You may as well suffer.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: