Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: FGarsia
New Today: 47
New Yesterday: 87
Overall: 139947

People Online:
Visitors: 78
Members: 3
Total: 81 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Financial Mgt Question - re CMDB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Financial Mgt Question - re CMDB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pk_
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Financial Mgt Question - re CMDB Reply with quote

Hi all,

I had a financial mgt question come up in a mock exam that completely stumped me, I was just wondering how people would have answered it?

Question was:

Quote:
You are responsible for introducing a new Financial Management system for
MAS which is to include charging. You have been approached by the team
who are doing the data design for the proposed CMDB. They want to know
what information you would like held in the new database to assist you in your
Financial Management role.

(a) Broadly outline the data that you feel should be held for this purpose.
8 Marks
(b) How will this data be captured, and what specific use will be made of it in
your Financial Management system.
12 Marks

I have literally no idea on this one, it's completely stumped me. What would you want in the CMDB related to financial mgt?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pk_

I can not - as most likely the other Red badge holders as well - answer your question for you

I will say. read the chapter on Financial Management for IT Services

Chapter 5

What I would like to know is

as the question is from the CS for the ITIL Service Manager's Certificate - Service Delivery

I would like to know whether you have sat the 2 week course for the IT SM Exams and where were you when they talked about this chapter ( 1 day)

If you have not taken the course, you are NOT suppose to take the exam

it is a pre-requisite

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
pk_
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah cheers

Anyway, to anyone else reading, all I could come up with was details of the various Services (and who uses them), linked to CIs that provide them, with details of resources that were to be used for cost units (disk space etc). That would provide the basis for coming up with cost models for either cost-by-customer or cost-by-service approaches. Other than that, I couldn't think of anything.

It was the specific mention of the CMDB that threw me, I think. What else would you want in there?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Chapter 5 of the Service Delivery book in detail

Read the exercises that you took during your course

These will help you answer the question

NOTE: If you put as your answer what you posted, you will not get any points

Read the damn question again

the first point is asking you 'Broadly outline the data that you feel should be held for this purpose.'

In other words, what data fields in the CMDB for the CI should be for Fin Management

Think.. What kind of information is available for every IT purchase.

Think .. you have less than 36 minutes in order to provide the answer for this question in order to pass the exam

pk_
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, forget it.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pk_

You must realize that non of those who have taken the ITIL Service manager course / exam will give you the answer. You have to find the information yourself as you have to write the answer - similar question maybe - on the 3 hour exam .

You will not have any one to help you

I - as can others - can give you hints where to find the information but you must find the information, read it, understand it and be able to explain it in the vdetail required for the examiner - or else you fail the exam

you must get 10 points on each question for SS and for SD in order to pass

I have told you where the answers are - they are in the book in chapter 5. Re -read chapter 5 and you will get your answer

Being stumped is par for the course.

NOTE: For Fin mgmt questions - think like a bookkeeper or store manager as well as an IT Person

if you give up on this question, you will fail the exam. and it is no ones fault but yours

Nikon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Financial Mgt Question - re CMDB Reply with quote

For this type of question you first need to think like a Fin Mgmnt person, lets take a senario where in you are a Fin Mgmt person and looking for information to estimate a cost of a blade server where would you look for this obviously the CMDB

in every organization right from a small pin to a server involves cost
so the financial details pertaining to every asset has to be maintained in cmdb so that the respective teams can use this data to estimate the cost of purchase and then provide the service cost details to their customers

So for this question you will need let the CMDB know what are the basic financial details you might want CMDB to maintain, also you need to provide them with restrictions (Security reason) such as Who all can see this information and up to what extant

You should have selected the second option as your answer
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pk_ wrote:
Ugh, forget it.

From what you've said I think you've got the right idea.......you would want the CMDB to hold information that's going to help you with budgeting and charging (e.g. who uses it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: