Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: StarG07ib
New Today: 56
New Yesterday: 106
Overall: 149933

People Online:
Visitors: 40
Members: 0
Total: 40

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Merging Service Desks - Benefits, Risks & Pitfalls
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merging Service Desks - Benefits, Risks & Pitfalls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazzareo2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Merging Service Desks - Benefits, Risks & Pitfalls Reply with quote

Hi all,

In the current financial climate everyone is looking to save money and in our organisation I have been asked to investigate the feasibility of merging the following Service/Help Desks: -

ICT
    Finance
    Procurement
    Business Services
    Estates Management

I work in ICT and we currently have a Skilled Service Desk which receives approximately 7000 IT calls per month and we are in the process of implementing a new fully intergrated Service Management tool.

Does anybody have any experience of merging different business functions into one Service Desk?

I would appreciate any advice on the benefits, risks & pitfalls of doing so.

Thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad timing to be looking at radical change while you are implementing a new system.

Guess you will have a write-off on your current project. Your first issue is to decide whether to cut your losses now and scrap the implementation while you determine your new requirements or go ahead and risk a morale drop when people realize all the current work is going to have to be done again.

At least you will have some idea of the real costs of a major implementation project to inform your decision.

I don't believe there are any pitfalls (except for the risk that the business does not thoroughly understand what it uses service desks for).

Basically you need to analyse the volumes, skill sets and activities pertaining to the existing systems, establish the service requirements and the budget and draw up a specification in order to establish a suitable management system and from that to identify suitable software etc.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a benefit - Hire Diarmid

There are risks in not hiring Diarmid

There are pitfalls in not hiring Diarmid

This has been brought to you by the letter U and the number 2

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like just investigating could be quite a project on its own. While I can't back it up with experience, my initial gut feeling that this is something that company should hire a resource with exactly that kind of experience... somebody who managed service desk merger. It should be a project with representatives from all the aforementioned service desks providing data regarding volumes, skill sets, costs, etc... Mind you, it may also spook many folks thinking that the merger means downsizing... which is probably the case, as I assume you company is looking to create a single service desk that can handle same scope of activity as combined individual ones only with fewer resources.

Anyway, my only real advise is that you should consider the investigation project itself as a major undertaking, and not something that you can do in between your daily tasks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: