Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: K7718
New Today: 48
New Yesterday: 68
Overall: 139806

People Online:
Visitors: 63
Members: 1
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Change Manager Role
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Manager Role

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srinivas_va

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Change Manager Role Reply with quote

Can you please tell me what will be a change manager role in a appplication support team. Just curious about it want to know any body who can help me ?
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust this question is a continuation of your recent posts regarding change management and your new position as a change manager in an apps support team.
If this is the case, why not go to the person who employed you and ask them how they want you to perform in the role?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question conjures up all sorts of unlikely scenarios. One does not normally think of IT Service Change Management as coming within the control scope of applications support, but nothing is impossible.

Perhaps it is a delegated role in support of a Change Management function that distributes tasks across the organization?

Perhaps it is a role restricted to items within the complete management control of Apps. Sup., but even then you would expect there to be wider impacts and therefore the role could not be entirely within Apps. Sup. if it is to provide effective control.

Perhaps Apps. Sup. also has the Change Management responsibility, but then it is not really Apps. Sup. but Apps. Sup. and Change Management and the Change Management roles would be within Change Management, not within Apps. Sup.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite work out whether this might help you or not, but I just came across this job advert minutes after that last post of mine:

Quote:
An experienced Change, Release and Configuration Service Co-coordinator is needed by a FTSE100 firm IT Leader to be responsible for assisting the Application Manager with the service delivery commitments across a portfolio of applications following ITIL processes / best practices for software Change & Release Management. You will own the functional change management policy and process stating what change information needs to be provided at each stage of the process and where it will be held, as well as accept and log application change requests from external and internal sources. Configuration & Build Management you will own the configuration management policy and process stating what configuration information needs to be provided and where it will be held, working closely with the he Release Manager to own the information of what software and versions are installed, where they are installed and own the picture of the relationships between the software across all the environments and ensure that the information is up to date, and work with the development manager to ensure that the software versioning tool holds the correct software configurations. You will also work closely with the problem and incident teams to allow their data to be linked to configuration items. Release Management you will own the release schedule, release templates and release policy and work within the application release process, identifying and recommending corrections for areas of weakness or inconsistency within the process. Set the release naming convention and provide the release identifier for each new release and work with the Application Manager, Change Manager and Problem Manager to recommend the release units for future releases and negotiate the release units with the customer using the approved change requests and identified workarounds from problem management Working alongside the existing incident and problem teams you will be required to take the lead and show ownership of the daily activities primarily around change and release management and have an appreciation of Configuration Management. This is an involved role requiring the ability to collate change request assessments, manage the release schedule, negotiate release contents with the customer and assist with the management of the release from development into live. You should be extremely process driven with ITIL and ISO9001. ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE; Eligible for SC Clearance ITIL Foundation - Specifically in Change and release ISO9001 Exp of the APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT lifecycle and ITIL Working in an SLA driven Service Environment Desirable PRINCE II or other Project Management ITIL Practitioner (Change Management) ITIL Practitioner (Release Management) ISO20000 Foundation

This is verbatim, (lack of) punctuation and all. I'm not sure I understand it and so I might apply even if just to find out what it really means.

Bottom line is that I think this illustrates the futility of making any general statements about jobs and roles without good understanding of the particular organization and therefore the futility of asking such a general question as this thread has. (I don't mean to disparage the question, just the unlikeliness of getting a useful answer because everywhere is so different in what they mean by a job or role and in how they describe it)
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: