Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MMinaya
New Today: 66
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142285

People Online:
Visitors: 52
Members: 0
Total: 52

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Catalogue vs. Hardware Cataloque
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Catalogue vs. Hardware Cataloque

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Service Catalogue vs. Hardware Cataloque Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question regarding ITILv3.
ITIL v3 mentiones the Service Catalogue. What about a catalgue which lists Client Computer Hardware and price information. Is this part of the Service Catalogue or can this be seen as a kind of Service catalogue?

Cheers,
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

a service catalogue is a catalogue of services. Do you mean the looking after of the client computer hardware? The actual hardware itself would normally be configuration items. By price, do you mean cost or value information? This would be accounting information for which you will want links to configuration and asset management, and possibly to services.

Or am I misunderstanding? Do you mean a list of hardware that you will provide (purchase?) on demand for the customer? That might be an order or purchase catalogue and would include any charge you make for the procurement and installation (and maintenance and support?). I would think this could be owned by a procurement service and that would be an item in the service catalogue.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
AndyW
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you are right. I wonder if client hardware like notebooks the related pricing information etc. should also appear in a service catalogue?
You can see it from this angle:
we offer client computers for our users on which we install a standard image etc. all together this could be seen as a service.
drgroove

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I worked as a Director for an ITIL software company for 5 years (I'd prefer not to name whether this was BMC, IBM, CA or HP, but it was one of those).

In my experience, the Service Catalog products offered by these companies handle both ITSM and ITAM requests; that is, they can act as the front-end to both Service Requests (eg, provisioning a new email inbox; increasing storage capacity on a device, etc) or Asset Requests (eg, ordering a standard laptop or desktop).

Basically, a Service Catalog functions as a bridge between both Service and IT Asset management domains.

Hope that helps...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is considerable danger of confusion here. mentioning tools clouds the issue which is about what is appropriate to hold in a Service Catalogue.

This should remain an entirely separate matter from what a set of tools allows you to do.

I was addressing an aspect of the question "what should be in a service catalogue?" and not the question "what can I put in my tool called Service Catalogue?"
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: