Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: VVEI
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 95
Overall: 141483

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 2
Total: 59 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL logo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL logo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vedhalam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: ITIL logo Reply with quote

Hi,

I have cleared the ITIL v3 Foundation certification exam recently.

I am yet to receive the certificate from EXIN.

My question is, Can I use the ITIL logo on my CV? if yes, which logo can I use?

Appreciate your response.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logo is copyright - if you use it, be sure to include the copyright statement - see the itil official site for the rules
vedhalam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: ITIL logo Reply with quote

Thanks for the response...

I have checked the official website. They mention about the usage of logo by accredited examination center and Training institutes.

I do not see any information on an individual using the ITIL logo in his Job profile.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vedhalam

Then that should tell you what ?

That you are not authorized to put the logo on your CV ?

BTW: As a senior IT mgmt type, let me say this.

If I saw a bunch of Logos on a CV or resume, I would immediate ignore that individual's CV and move on to other CV

List the skills in the skills / education section of the CV

That and experience are what is looked for

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
vedhalam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: ITIL Logo Reply with quote

Hi UKVIKING,

Thanks for your reply.

If adding the logo on the CV is not authorized, then i am not going to attempt that.

I have raised my query also to the OGC servicedesk. If i get a reply i will update the response in this thread.

But i do not understand, why should a senior person reject a CV for seeing a bunch of logos in it?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vedhalam

Do you apply for a role or are you advertising ?

If I am reading an offical document from IBM or Cisco , I expect to see the LOGO for IBM or Cisco on the document. This is corporate branding.

If you do not represent OGC or APMG or EXIN or ISEB, why would you put CORPORATE BRANDING on your CV.

If you do that ... in my opinion, it is like spelling mistakes or lack of punctuation - an un professional or worthy CV

All of the technical certification schemes have appropriate branding for those who have passed specific exams - Cisco does, Microsoft does, etc

They have strict guidelines for putting the appropriate certifciation name - again corporate branding - for putting the certification logo on the user's business card or as part of a signature.

Putting it on a CV is not appropriate.

For example, if you have ITIL, Microsoft, redhat, Cisco, Oracle, certification and you drive a Volkswagen and drink Pepsi, smoke Marlboro cigarettes, eat at McDonalds - are you going to put all these logos on your CV ?

You are NOT advertising them. You are providing an HR department / management type with your curriculum vitae CV or your resume - your job, education and skill set . The course work and certification should be in the appropriate section on your CV.

Also, if you add it to a CV - in MS word for example. The HR department will print it out in b/w or maybe even email the txt portion - stripped of all enhancements to the appropriate managers - and poof the fancy fonts and colors and graphics are gone.

Same applied to professional associated - BCS, iEEE, ACM - etc. Name them - leave the branding off

My question to you

why do you want to put the logo on your CV ?
How do you think this will benefit your chance for a job ?

vedhalam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: ITIL Logo Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed response.

I understand your point. And i respect your thought.

To answer your question...

I just completed my ITIL so was excited to add it to my profile to make it appear catchy.

Now-a-days i see lot of profile floating with the certification logo's.

If the HR person who is screening a profile count of 100 or 1000 will be reading through the column of certification, I am very much happy to ignore the logo's on my profile.

I do not intend to add images to my profile, but was thinking that the smaller logo's will help the consultants or the HR to skip through profiles when they are screening huge volumes of profiles.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vedhalam

I would gather from your post that you just passed ITIL v3 Foundation

Congratulations. You are one of 10000 or more people who have that certification

Professional advice here -not to be confused with saracasm or irony

A CV should be organized in the following manner
Personal / contact details
Work Experience
Education
Certification (sub set of Education)
Technical Skils (sub set of Education)

A CV then would be sent to a company that has advertised a role where your skill set, education, certfication and work experience match. It would be sent with a cover letter to the email address that is being used for that role.

If you merely flood companies with your CV w/out regard to whether there are roles for your skill set, your CV is most likely going to the trash pile or ignore stack - as they get thousands upon thousands.

You sent the cover letter and the CV for the role that is advertised.

- end professional advice

start ITIL advice - irony and sarcasm included

ITIL Foundation means absolutely nothing special to be honest. It means the following

You know what ITIL is.
You can spell it
You can name the parts
When senior ITIL types speak about key terminology, they do not have to explain in detail as you understand them when they say - incident, problem, process, procedure, CI etc

That is all

It is the equivilent of learning your numbers, addition, subtraction, multiplciation and division - before you go take algebra, calculus or even accounting.

This is a FOUNDATION for you to learn more. It is NOT the end of the learning in the ITIL

vedhalam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: ITIL logo Reply with quote

That explanation was much bigger than the previous one. Very Happy

Though there are certain gaps which i can still keep questioning, I find them to be unnecessary.

I gladly accept your advice and appreciate your time and effort. Thank you.

But for the people who are still in need to have an answer to the question "whether it is legal to use ITIL logo on a CV", I have raised the query with the OGC service desk. If i get a response, i will update this thread with the information.

-Siva.,
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vedhalam

I dont know of any one here who would do such

Especially those who have been around for a while in IT

vedhalam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: ITIL logo Reply with quote

buddy,

You are one among the entire list of forum members.

You are one of the senior person in the management to which you belong.

I respect you and your thought as one of the individual person.

At the same time i strongly believe views can be different in whatever context.

I have seen few similar queries in this same forum and also in many other forums. so if there is an answer to a question let us also step to that. Hope there is no harm in that.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vedhalam

I do not have an issue with seeking the question nor getting the answer from OGC regarding using the ITIL logo on a person's CV / resume

Like you said, I am but 1 person and my opinions, thoughts are merely my own

Oi - other long term posters - comments / counter claims ?

vedhalam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: ITIL logo Reply with quote

I am not interested in making comments right now.

Will be responding if i get any further information related to the query.
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ITIL logo tattooed on my back. The OGC were happy with this and confirmed that it did not breach any copyright laws. The only caveat was the tattoo had to be classy.

FYI - The tattoo consists of an image of loads of developers cowering in fear as the ITIL logo is thrust down from Asgard by the God Thor. In the background a server room explodes into flames, as the CAB meets in a scene not too dissimilar to DaVinci's 'The Last Supper'.

Hope this helps.
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people use the image of the elevant badge on their CV, and no-on seems to be too bothered by abuse of copyright for that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: