Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: ElbaRicht
New Today: 41
New Yesterday: 66
Overall: 142260

People Online:
Visitors: 68
Members: 0
Total: 68

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Parameters to check the ITIL Complience of a Tool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parameters to check the ITIL Complience of a Tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITIL_Follower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Parameters to check the ITIL Complience of a Tool Reply with quote

Hi All,

Happy new year to you in advance.. Smile

What are the parameters or check points on which we can check if the tool is ITIL complient or not.
I have a internally developed tool for Project Management (Tracking the work efforts and etc), and I need to check if that Tool is ITIL complient or not.
Please suggest me the approach that I should take to achieve this or wher can I find the documentation for the parameters specific to Project Management.

ITIL books have very small description about Project management.

Thanks!
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First,

i do not know where to begin. Well actually I do

First- ITIL is NOT a standard so nothing can be compliant

Second - Microsoft already wrote a product that deals with projects. It is called..... wait for it.... Microsoft Project. Other companys have written products as well for it

3 - ITIL is not for Project management; therefore there is little mention of project management in ITIL. PRINCE2 deals with project management

Sheesh

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q. What is ITIL compliance?
A. ITIL compliance is a myth.

Q. What is an ITIL project?
A. An ITIL project is a misnomer.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
ITIL_Follower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Is it possible Reply with quote

Diarmid and UKVIKING

Thanks a lot for your reply, It makes things clear.

So is it something that we cant develop a Project Management Tool following the ITIL guidelines?

I understand that ITIL is not for Project Management, disregarding this term Project Management, is it possible to develop a tool which will track the People, Infrastructure, Efforts, Costing and other resources for successful delevery pf the project based on the ITIL guidelines.

Please suggest.

Thanks!
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let us clear up the terminology so as to avoid misunderstandings..

The project is unlikely to be based on ITIL guidelines since ITIL guidance is guidance about IT service management (ITSM) rather than about projects.

Presumably what you intend is projects to improve ITSM using ITIL as part of the guidance as to the project objectives. If you feed "ITIL" into the project method, then you are dictating (or at least constraining) project objectives ahead of defining them for the particular project and that kind of distortion is not a good idea. A project to improve ITSM in an organization can be on any aspect of the service management system and should always be rooted in an analysis of the current system. ITIL can be very helpful to this analysis and to the design process for the improved management system and to the defining of acceptance criteria and evaluation of the outcomes, but in ways specific to the individual project, and not in some generic manner that could be templated [I hope this is not a new word] into the project management system.

I don't see how ITIL guidance can help in the project management itself, except in the sense that it helps when the project manager (or project management team) also understand ITIL.

But perhaps you are referring to projects to "implement ITIL"? Well, that cannot be done, and attempts to do it lead, almost inevitably, to a poor ITSM system that then needs to be refocussed and recalibrated to the real world of managing the services you actually have, in the way you actually need to manage them.

Because of the widespread misconceptions about ITIL there is one thing you can, and should, put into your project management system. That is a process to establish the worth (concrete, not abstract) of the project objectives in the context of the environment being changed. But that is a generic that ought to be in all project management systems dealing with change.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
ITIL_Follower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Thanks a lot Reply with quote

Thank you Diarmid,

For the elaborative explaination.
It really nice to get it understood by someone of your expertise and knowledge.

Thanks again and Happy new year..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: