Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RosendoRam
New Today: 28
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146008

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 1
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Sigh... "Love this"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sigh... "Love this"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Sigh... "Love this" Reply with quote

So I have a new boss. And now we urgently need to "implement" KPI. Nothing else exists - WE NEED KPIs. GIVE ME KPIs!!!

I am still waiting for an explanation as to why we need to focus on 7 particular areas, what are the new objectives (cause you know, new boss), what things are more important then other, etc, etc... Looking from my ITIL ivory tower I can tell that this will be an exercise in futility, but who am I to tell them that?

Aaaaah... feel a lot better having gotten this off my chest.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sigh... "Love this" Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
So I have a new boss. And now we urgently need to "implement" KPI. Nothing else exists - WE NEED KPIs. GIVE ME KPIs!!!

I am still waiting for an explanation as to why we need to focus on 7 particular areas, what are the new objectives (cause you know, new boss), what things are more important then other, etc, etc... Looking from my ITIL ivory tower I can tell that this will be an exercise in futility, but who am I to tell them that?

Aaaaah... feel a lot better having gotten this off my chest.

If you don't have Key Performance Indicators how do you know how you are performing against the elements that are key.
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I understand where he is coming from as you can't manage what you don't measure.However someone has to standup to him and ask him what he would like to measure and would like to see improving. its just not appropriate to measure everything.. doing that is just like Pi****g in the air, it will come back at you.
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
DaveInSeoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you 'sigh deeply' and take a step back. What are the overall objectives you are trying to measure and what are the critical sucess factors (CSFs)?

OK now that I've thrown more jargon at you, what I simply mean is this? What is your boss trying to achieve (objectives) and what are the critical factors that will determine the success of these objectives? Once you have gotten a handle on these to questions the next question is - can you measure these success factors? If so, then you have a key performance indicator (KPI).

The problem that you will run into is that you might want to measure the CSF, but find out that you can't (too manual, not cost effective, etc). Sometimes this will take some trial and error.

Dave Martin
ITIL v3 Expert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: