Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TNlc
New Today: 29
New Yesterday: 59
Overall: 146188

People Online:
Visitors: 51
Members: 2
Total: 53 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITIL Process Automation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITIL Process Automation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajeshsaxena18

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: ITIL Process Automation Reply with quote

Happy New Year to aLll of you Smile
I am working as an consultant .

We are panning to migrate form our existing tool BMC Magic to Service now ITIL V3, We have started gathering the requiremnts specifcation such as Process workflows,SLA'S requirements,escalations and other relevant detial for the incindet management ,Problem Management and request fulfilment.

But to ensure that once we place an order with service now we should be ready with all the process specific configuration requirement for the tool (suncg as Service request attributes,Notification and escalations,SLAs ,resposne resolution timlines,Escalations heirarchial and functional etc)for all process-IM ,PM and RF
I would apprecaite if you can let us know or provide a template in whcih the ITSM Tool team expects the Tool Configuration specification for each process to be documented for configuring the Service now as per our business requirements and hencs esnuring all the process realted configuration details have been captured.(such as the Workflow, Notifications, Escalations Incindet attributes,Service request attributes etc)

We are into requirement gatring phase and would truly apprecaite if you can provide us with the template for collecting the Tool configuration specifiction requirement as stated above.

Apprecaite your prompt resposne on this !
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I hope this response is prompt enough for you.

I haven't a clue how to define the info you request. However what i would do is employ a consultant who you would assume would have the relevant skills, experience and intelligence to provide the info.
swansong
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! You are a "consultant"! Sorry didn't see that.

Well if a consultant cannot find the information through any other means than this forum, then surely the information is beyond the mortal man.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swansong,

obviously he is a consultant cause he know f.a. about the subject

methinks he works for one of the 140 odd national governments or the mulittude of local governments

they would be the kind of morons who would hire some one who knows nothing about the subject they are being hired for

Poor grammar, spelling aside of course

However, on a serious point. rajeshsaxena18.
I have to ask the following questions

why do you think that any of the members of this forum has the ability to determine what your company / organization needs or wants from a new tool
should you not first determine what the tool you are currently using can do before you go spend thousands / millions on a tool that may not do what your current tool does

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rajeshsaxena18 - the supplier of your new tool should have a list o all the parameters that will be set up as part of the installation - deciding the values to enter for each of them will be dependent on your current tool settings, SLA targets, what was in the business case for the purchase and what people want ( ascertained by interviews and workshops). Only in this way will these have any real value, and be understood by the various IT departments.

Every organisation will have different requirements, but the original template of required fields must come from the supplier
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm impressed. They have the prescience of mind to know what product will meet their undefined requirements.

And, they want to define the configuration before placing the order. So presumably they have already done the training on the product?

- - - - - - - - - -

John, your gibe about the public sector is a little unfair (not untrue, just unfair) I seem to recall a while back there was a VP in IT services from a US company (I think a bank) who practically asked us how to spell ITIL. I do not believe that is such an unusual situation.

- - - - - - - - - -

Back to the subject in hand.

The "template for collecting the [t]ool configuration specific[a]tion requirement" is your set of documented service management procedures as they will stand when you implement the tool. You configure the tool to optimally deliver what your procedures require of it. What could be simpler?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diarmid

You are right. I was unfair.

The US VP had a cue card in front of him so he did know how to spell the work

he only did not kn0w how to pronounce ITIL

eye-Till
it-ill

Major wars have been founght over little things like that

rajeshsaxena18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks Mr John Hardesty / Mr ITIL Manager !... I think you are more suited for a role of Movie critics..rather postings scraps here on this precious portal..Have few points in resposne for your comments ....
Firstly ...
Quote:
No one is perfect... that's why pencils have erasers..
..so even if someone become ITIL manager ( well rather i would say only certificate wise and not knowledge wise Wink )do try to understand the difficulty the new consultant would face in understanding and implementing the concepts ..well thast the quality of true manager..so ITIL managers doesnt really suits someone out here Mr John Wink
Secondly..
Quote:
Learn all you can from the mistakes of others. You won't have time to make them all yourself. ~Alfred Sheinwold

I posted my requirement to get some really good inputs and suggestion from this forum because i really thought this forum has gud experts who really understand the problem posted and geniunly intrested in providing guidance..Well thanks to Swansong ,LizGallacher,Diarmid..who atleast understood the issue and their suggestion really helped ..to ensure that we cover every aspect of configuration details requirement required before we start up with setting up tool ...the problem i have explained in my query..sorry if it didnt get into your neurons john Wink
the question was not specific to capturing the companies requirement but in general capturing all the tool configuration requirement while migrating form one tool to other .. whcih I finally prepared and got verified from one of the leading ITSM tool vendor ..let me know if you want it Wink
thirdly.. i hope this is ITIL Forum and not a grammer or english Forum ..so people would be more intrested in givin out their precious inputs rather then beating around bushes and commenting about the spell checks Smile..well that indictaes that some one doesnt have the solution ....never mind you can still learn not the book... but practicaly. Wink
Never take the comments seriously.. it was just to ensure that people keep on sending their queries on to this Forum.. without any hesitation..Because the Famous Head first series Says :
Quote:
THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS in this world as far as you wanna learn Smile

Quote:
On a serious Note..Thanks to LizGallacher ,Diarmidwho atleast gave ther valuable inputs ..rather than givin stupid recomendation of where i work or about my Knowledge

Rajesh
ITIL Capability module V3 ( RCV,OSA Certified)
Quite junior and still long way to learn from experts like you Smile
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajesh,

I hope you are not saying that a consultant does not need to have relevant experience (as well as learning) before they become a "beginning consultant"?

I hope you have had several years experience in ITSM before taking to consultancy?

Finally, I hope you did not think I had mis-typed when I used the word "prescience". I was trying to combine cleverness and irony as a didactic tool.

PS
the points I made were an elaboration of the very valid points made by John who is almost always helpful to those who pay attention.

PPS
reading between the lines of your opening post, I am wondering if you are not really what we would term a consultant, but rather an employee charged with the thinking role in your project? If this is the case then please ignore my first two paragraphs and let them stand as a warning to others.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajesh

Your first mistake was stating you are a consultant

If you are being paid to consult on the matter of buying / purchasing a new tool for a customer, then you should be a SME - Subject matter expert and have had years of experience doing this task.

If you are merely calling yourself a consultant in order to sound more important or to obsfucate your real title / job or to jazz up your title, then cease. It does not benefit you.

If you are - as I suspect - the poor sod that has been given the ignoble task of planning the deployment of this new tool, then I wish to state the following
1 - I feel for the company that wants to change the tool. I expect the deployment of the new tool will be complete with major deployment issues, errors and lack of understanding.
2 - I feel for the team that you are involved with in accomplishing this task as they will have to struggle to understand ther requirement, plan the project and overall successfully implement the tool
Lastly,
3 - I feel for you as you have given a task which while you can grow & learn from errors and mistakes during this, the # of and type of mistakes may render your future employability doing this kind of work untenable. Not deliberately but as a result of LOUC - Law of Unintended Consequences.

So now to the issue at hand

A company wants to change ITSM Tools from a BMC tool to a ServiceNow

My statements and supporting questions to you / the company, the team and to the general audience here

1 - why do you think that any of the members of this forum has the ability to determine what your company / organization needs or wants from a new tool as we are not working for that company / organization ?

2 -should you not first determine what the tool you are currently using can do before you go spend thousands / millions on a tool that may not do what your current tool does ?

3 - what is the reasoning behind the change in the tool ?
Was it a marketing ploy - like the phrase 'itil compliant' or 'itil certified'
Was it because some pointy head senior management went to a conference and saw some fancy demo
Was it because the trade papers and noise is abot the newest and lastest tool ?
4- How long do you think the change over from one tool to another will take ?

I have been involved directly and indirectly in the implementation of new tools, replacements tools, version upgrades and other variations of software deployment for more years than i can count.

I have seen that all deployments are not done 100 % successfully nor are they done 0% successful (failure). They fall somewhere in the middle - where and why is usually for the same reasons.

Not enough planning during the project phase
Not enough understanding of the current tool's capability and usage
not enough understanding of the differences in the new tool over the old tool
Unrealistic expectations as to delivery

And I want you to realize the following.

1 - I never ever stated I was an ITIL Manager. I have ITIL Service Manager (Red Badge) in my signature as that is the most worthy certification that I hold. I have several others and I have enough experience and knowledge to acquire several more.

2 - My remarks about the poor quality in your grammar and spelling merely takes notice that you did not review your work before posting and you did not think we care.

3 - This forum exists to discuss and convey experience and information between new to IT ITSM and ITIL and experienced people in these areas.
However, the forum is not a training tool.

4 - Finally, I am a right bastard. I admit it. I actually revel in it. I treat people who are intellectually lazy, unimaginative and expect to given all answers very rudely and badly. I do my best to attack the post and the lack of effect behind it. I do also my best not to make the attack personal - aka Usenet rules. I also expect some one to do their bit of work before comng hat in hand.

One final thing. Welcome to the forum

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
I also expect some one to do their bit of work before comng hat in hand.

One final thing. Welcome to the forum

??? "bat in hand" ???
William Penn 1644-1718
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid

I bring the bat

rajeshsaxena18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Big thanks for your inputs..Diarmid and john... it seems i couldnt put forward my query in so called "Consultant" terminology..
and Yes I am a consultant. 8..nad have been doing good.. and quite confident would do good in future..but still on the learning track to become one of you to help out people who are willing to learn but ofcouse not the way my query got responded..initially...rather motivating and correcting new learners..in a positive way !

by the way John I never mentiond that the solution m expecting is company requirement specific..but i was looking for a template that would capture every aspect for configuring any ITSM tool....anyways i have already created that..and quite useful one !

Well Yes this is first time m doing such assignment so might sound silly to experts like.you..but anyways thanks for helping me out !

Quote:
AS i still feel there are no STUPID Questions and Its always first time for every new thing you pick and start up Wink
Smile
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajesh

There arent any global templates on how to do tool migration

You have to come up with your self; same as every one else

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajesh

I have re-read and re-read your post

Why should you worry abotu configuring the new tool ? The setup instructions would tell you this as well as the wonks from the company that sold you the product usually provide installation support

What you ACTUALLY need to do is a GAP Analysis of the features of the new tool against the features of the old tool.

One obvious 'feature' you should never accept is the phrase 'ITIL Compliant' or some such like that. There is NO such thing beyond a marketing campaign

if this company is buying service now because it advertises ITIL Complience or some such, the company decision is based on specious information.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: