Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: V19A
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 50
Overall: 146272

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 1
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Hey guys, Need some help here, implementing CMDB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey guys, Need some help here, implementing CMDB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amine-douda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Hey guys, Need some help here, implementing CMDB Reply with quote

HI guys,

I was asked to implement a cmdb for one organisation, i will be recruted if i succed, i was thinking its something easy, but i was wrong, now its being like a week now reading about how to implement a cmdb, but i still how no clue about how to begin, so please if there is any help you guys can offer me, some documents or guidance, i would be so greatfull

and thank you all.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amine-douda,

I usually am quite blunt,tact and snarly but I had a bit of chocolate and I am feeling a bit warm and human.

1 - A CMDB is a collection of database(s) that contain all information about the services a company provides. The CMDB would include system, service, application, and any other information that may be needed to support the servers
2 - the CMDB is primary used by a service desk / helpdesk to provide information about the systems, services and users that the service desk is responsibile for
3 - a CMDB is more than an asset register of the systems; however, this is usually one of the core databases used
4 - ITIL process - Configuration Management - is the process responsible for managing the CMDB through the Config mgmt processes, sub process and links to other process.

My suggestions are as follows

If you dont know anything about ITIL, do not attempt this. Get training in ITIL
If you have training in ITIL; it should be also be joined with experience of implementing and using ITIL Best practices. Training and certification should be beyond the foundation
If you have no experience in Database or application design, get some

In my not so humble opinion, you have been giving a task where you will spend huge amounts of time and you will not achieve what you want or what the company / person who requested this wants.

WALK AWAY.

While they may have dangled 'a job' if you do this, if you do a bad job on the CMDB, does it hurt your employment chances with this and other companys

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
amine-douda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: HI Reply with quote

UKVIKING,

Thank you for the honest answer, i never had itil traning but i have some ideas about itil,i have no choice but try to make this happen.
i have an other question, if you dont mind answering, i installed ocs inventory to collect all the info about this company, i wanna know once i have this list what is the next step.

and thank you
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase one is not to investigate data but to investigate purpose. In order to establish a CMDB you first have to have established policies and objectives. From that you can design processes and structures. From these you can define what data is required and how it should be laid out.

Put all the info gathered to one side and begin to investigate what information their processes require and how it needs to be used. With luck, some of what you have gathered will be relevant, but before you go back to it design the structures/frameworks and processes for storing, accessing and controlling all the information that is certainly required in the CMDB. Then follow your new processes to populate the CMDB from what you have gathered and other necessary information.

Don't forget about quality and authority considerations in your process designs.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
amine-douda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Diarmid,

Thank you, i will certainly do that.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amine-douda,

A CMDB is merely a tool to manage and track the work in the ITIL Process Configuration Management.

You need to get an understanding of that process at least in order to build even the remotest version of a CMDB

Also, please realize the following - no one ever has a complete CMDB . It is list x = 1/n - always approach 0 but never gettign there

Before you can build a CMDB or even an asset Register, you need to know the following

what systems do you have
what information about the systems you want to track and why
a place to store them

I can not really help you with the next step as that would be consulting as opposed to Free Advice

amine-douda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hey guys,
thx for the answer, i start to understand what is a cmdb and how it works, etc ..
but i still have one question, i wanna know if there is any relation between cmdb and oracle .. for exemple the cmdb contains alot of information, and it depends on you needs, what sort of informations exist there, so lets take an exemple .. i creat 3 tables (ComputreCi, ServersCi, RoutersCi) may creat these tables using oracle ?? or there is already softwares designed to do that ?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amine-douda

I do all my database design in Microsoft access

This way you can build the database, tables, forms, queries etc

and then determine what fields you need for what tables and whether to have multiple tables and reference tables etc

There is software making CMDB

However, I would agree with Diarmid

you need to step away from the CMDB and concentrate on the process to manage the information about the assets you want to control with the CMDB

I had a CMDB on a white board - 3 servers, 10 desktops, 4 printers.

The process for doing things was pretty easy

The hard part was gefreshing the data after some one washed the white board

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:
The hard part was refreshing the data after some one washed the white board

I hate that. I once lost five years work that way. Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
amine-douda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

UKVIKING,

Thank you for the valuable advice, i will discust using Microsoft access with my boss, and i thank also Diarmid, he was right i had to inform my self more about the purpose of the company and what they really need, by doing that, the way start to be more clear. Smile thank you all
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like warm and human John. Anybody with me?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo

I am crushed.

How many other agree

Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo,

it's no use lobbing stuff over the forty-whatsit parallel when John's just said he agrees with me.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: