Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMcCann
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 142364

People Online:
Visitors: 70
Members: 1
Total: 71 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - SLA Penalties?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SLA Penalties?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITILRich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: SLA Penalties? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am working with a client over the creation of an SLA for one of their customers. It is a requirement that some form of penalty or service credits are awarded for failure in delivery of the service against targets agreed in the SLA.

Usually I try and avoid any form of penalty clause in an SLA as in many respects I see it as counter to the general spirit of SLA’s. However this is a commercial outsource IT provider so essentially the SLA will be wrapped up in a legal contract and there is a definite requirement for some form of penalty clause.

My previous experiences with SLA’s have always been for internal IT providers and have not included such a clause so I wanted to seek opinion from the groups as so what appropriate penalties would be?

My general feeling is that it needs to be structured in some way so that minor failures to hit a target (e.g. they hit 59% of something when the target is 60%), or when targets to resolve Incidents at Priority level 5 receive a lower level of penalty than missing a Priority level 1 or 2 target. In addition does a failure to miss only one target in a reporting period result in a penalty or do there need to be several?

I think that we will go for something which will result in a service credit applied to subsequent invoices, but the exact structure behind this just isn’t quite decided.

So, any ideas? We want to make sure that any service credit we apply is along an industry norm....

Thanks,
Richard.
sumituprit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no industry norm provisioned on such clause of SLA breach Penalt.
Yes overacheiving SLAs has always been rewarded with a creamy bonus. The challange for you is not how to provision a clause in SLA but the challange is how you will calculate it. I mean for a SR the terrif will be lowest and for Priority 1 the terrifs will be highest, but who will be at negotiating this, have you defined any such role mediating b/w both the parties.
if all is well and decided by governance (I wonder), the renewal contracts will be the sum after deduction of such penalties.
for triggering such penalties you will have to decide price of per SLA and same amount or % of the amount should be deducted/credited from the account.
Manage the change and change the management to an improvised tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: