Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Rolandmugs
New Today: 24
New Yesterday: 83
Overall: 141546

People Online:
Visitors: 88
Members: 1
Total: 89 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - landing a new job as problem manager
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

landing a new job as problem manager

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elbow
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: landing a new job as problem manager Reply with quote

Hi guys, bit of a newbie and wanted to call on your expertise. Looking for a new job as problem manager but however, only a year experience and after 2 interviews feel im up against strong competition. However, the last interview i did ok but i think they were looking for someone who could define in the interview what they would do in their first month in the new job. Lets just say the role is established but the firm are looking to take it further, more proactive, looking at the problem process as a whole and looking at tuning it poss.
What im wondering, is how do i pitch this in an interview if i get asked what i think i would do in the first month or so? How would i go about looking at the exisitng role and how would i go about implementing new processes or at least defining what exactly to look at. My exisiting role was an internal promotion so this is all a bit new to me.
Any help would be fantastic!
Best regards
Elbow
Bluesman
Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an overview.
See what´s already in place - policies, workflows, procedures.
Who are your SME resources?
Who are the bosses, how do they support ITIL?
Staff..any ITIL experience, at least V2 foundation?
Other processes in place? Maturity level?
Interview Incident and Change mgrs ASAP...you will need to work very closely to these two in particular.
Check out incident history.
Get familiar with the tools avaliable - does the support tool (tickets) have Problem mgmt included in the flow?

And so much more....it will take you a lot more than a month, tho.

In short..get the feel of the place and a helicopter view. Establish some good relations with IM, CM (who most likely commands the SMEs), CEO, and the CAB people (often a fairly static bunch).

Also..try to feel why your predecessor wasn´t good enuff.

My 2 cents /Richard
elbow
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

that's a very generous reply and certainly really helpful. i will use what you have given me and weave it into my next interview. Very much appreciated!
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: