Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RMichels
New Today: 34
New Yesterday: 70
Overall: 141855

People Online:
Visitors: 56
Members: 6
Total: 62 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - How to train users for a process implementation with no tool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to train users for a process implementation with no tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: How to train users for a process implementation with no tool Reply with quote

Hello guys,

We are preparing the implementation of a Change Management process here, after several months of workshops, preparing documents, etc.

As for training, I am used to preparing and delivering training sessions for process that are supported by tools. Usually, that means 1/3 of process training and 2/3 of tool training, with a training material full of tool screen shots and some user cases.

Well, this time is different. Our CM process is not supported by a tool. So I was wondering what would be the best way to train users. I was thinking of maybe elaborating some fake RFCs and letting them play with it in class like it was a real RFC. But as it is a new world for me, I am not sure this is the best way of doing it.

So I would like to exchange some ideas with you guys. Am I on the right track? How do you usually do this?

Cheers!
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chasing,

Lets go back to the good old days, where no tools were around.

First of all before you start training, check if there is a documented change management process in place? if yes then check if it needs re-engineering if no then work with that team to create one which will be tailored to there requirements.

Ok, next thing would be an awareness session on what Change Management is all about, how critical it is and how it should be implemented(using their documented Change Management process).

Then you can have a centralized folder with all the RFC's and an excel sheet to manage all the Changes(RFC's). The excel sheet can contain the following: Numbering, Date, Aprroved/Rejected, Status, etc..

Meanwhile, you need to ensure management commitment to keep those records up to date and ensure the staff are adhering to the process.

This is very high level information on how it can look like when there is no tool inplace.

Please note that this is not a best practice as Change Management is less effective when there is no Configuration Management in place. I am just suggesting a solution to your scenario.

I hope that helps.
ITILV3 Expert(Lilac Badge) Certified.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechosenone69,

Thanks for your reply.

We've already done all that. Process is documented after several workshops with stakeholders. Work instructions are ready. High level support is guaranteed.

Al we need now is training. And my question is: How do we train people when there is no tool to play with?

I am thinking of preparing some exercises and letting them play with it, after a formal presentation of documented process.

How do you usually do this?

Cheers!
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have the budget then I suggest you try some simulators. This could be an affective way of presenting the value of Change Management to the team, if not then just give some scenarios and ask them to fill the change requests for those and then evaluate it and tell them what they did right and where they went wrong.

You can then pilot it with rewards to motivate staff to adhere to the new processes. I have tried that approach few times it might look silly but from experience was very affective as staff will be motivated to follow the processes in an affective way.

“If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing." W. Edwards Deming.
ChasingSleep
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thechosenone69. Your help was very much appreciated.

I will go with some scenarios and let them play with it.

Cheers!
thechosenone69
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Chasing. Let us know your feedback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: