Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RSchindle
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 89
Overall: 139462

People Online:
Visitors: 55
Members: 2
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Please don't shoot the ITIL Virgin... yet ;)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please don't shoot the ITIL Virgin... yet ;)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chomper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Please don't shoot the ITIL Virgin... yet ;) Reply with quote

Hello to all, first time browser, have checked out 'topics' and FAQ on here for a tale like my own but no joy so even though I fear I may well get shot down in flames, hey what the hell, I'll ask anyway!

Will make a few itemised comments for clarity and to hopefully enable some kind soul to kick me in the right direction.

1. Had 24 years in IT done all sorts, rose through ranks, well known companies and numerous courses along the way but no 'formally recognised' qualifications to show. Left mainstream employment six years ago due to both parents health issues (became full time carer, both since deceased). Now looking for a way back in.

2. Went through old BS5750 couple of times, then iso9000 couple of times, was prob better organised than majority of my peers but have to say our own internal systems were deliberately streamlined in any case and to be honest I found the whole 'quality' thing to be counter-productive in most instances (sledgehammer to crack a nut). By the time we had processes written in their simplest form we discovered hey presto thats what we were doing anyway! Hence I may have to be dragged kicking and screaming if ITIL proves to be a must for me.

3. All jobs I'm looking at seem to be quoting ITIL foundation as a minimum but I'm finding it rather difficult to accept all my experience has somehow become worthless. So can I actually get the ITIL foundation bit whilst not in employment?

4. Have also done some teaching (and have an entry level qualification to do so). It seems the world has gone mad for training since I've been away (zillions of NVQ's with no jobs at the end). So is it at all possible for me to get fully spammed up (ITIL Expert) again, without actually being in employment, so I could then go out and show others how to do it? I'm hoping my experience will at least give me some sort of 'credits' in terms of an entry point to retraining?

Profuse apologies for such a long first post. Please let me down gently Smile
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chomper

Clue up for you. You have been doing IT using ITIL best practice

I will reserver my remarks about the new 'training spam thing'

The Foundation course / exam can be done self study and exam only

The course is about the same a 3 - 5 day Technical course for the likes of Microsoft etc

If you have the time and the money, do the following

1 - Get ITIL Foundation out of the way
2 - Get Prince2 out of the way
3 - Get ISO 20000 out of the way
4 - Get ISO 270001 out of the way
5 - get ISO 9000 out of the way
6 - 6 Sigma and CMMi come to mind

Start doing the itSMF trade show
Start doing the BCS shows

You also should check with any one you used to work with via Linked In and try to get yoru name noticed

Please note I have reserved a virtual bullet for you; however, the weapon is on back order; I wont have to shoot you anytime soon

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Chomper.

But please go to the back of the queue. You have only 24 years experience - much less than me and I'm nearly four years looking for work right now.

You're not far from here. Why not drop me an email?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can start networking with some companies who provide ITSM (not just ITIL) consulting & training services. They sometimes need ppl with industry experience (and more impotantly, people skills), the certification tickets can be obtained reasonably quickly, ie: get them to put you through their existing courses.

Another relatively fat track is to get some basic ProjMgt certs (eg: Prince2/3, PMBOK) and apply your experience to managing projects. Nothing worse than a snot-nosed PM with certication but no practical experience preaching what and how to do it.

PS: Condolences for your losses, but your family values and selflessness shows strength of character that a hiring manager should find attractive...
LizGallacher
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are paying for your own training, and have the commitment required, e-learning could be a good option - many providers provide a training passport - bundles of several courses at a reduced price. Because you have the practical experience as well, this could be a good option for you - contact me directly for some suggested providers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: