Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LBrookman
New Today: 83
New Yesterday: 55
Overall: 139896

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 1
Total: 54 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Starting with Incident
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting with Incident

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Starting with Incident Reply with quote

(not a question, just sharing some thoughts from my most recent experience)

Funny how a lot of improvement opportunities when analyzed lead back to the basics - incident management process.

Started out with examination of KPIs because new boss wanted the KPIs. Right or wrong he wanted the KPIs in the areas of availability, capacity and resource management. Fine. The more we talked about what our KPIs should be and how they are to be implemented, the more we kept coming back to poor practices (or lack of certain practices altogether) related to Incident management.

For the KPIs identified for avail and cap Incident would be the first stop to collect the right data, to have that we need proper procedures, roles and tools in place. In the end - new project, IM process Smile

Aaaah... I have been vindicated. My nagging about analyzing what we've got first instead of diving head first into KPIs in the areas that we didn't even know why we were touching to begin with has finally paid off. While there is no denying avail and cap are important to this organization, however, there are more pressing underlying areas to deal with.

The crap part is that now I am given a PM hat. Crying or Very sad
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always easiest to start with the reactive side of management
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, when you come to analyse what to do to improve incident management, you will probably discover that you are handicapped by deficiency in your approach to change management and realize you have to start there.

When you look at change management you will discover problems with your understanding and control of services and their relationships and you will have to start with service catalogue ... and configuration ... and ... well you know how it is.

It is fairly certain that most areas of service management affect most aspects of service delivery either directly or indirectly.

It pays to start with whichever area is causing most pain and, for a time, tolerate the additional burden that other areas gleefully provide. Of course it also pays to start with the easiest thing to fix that will actually make things better.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Timo
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is as much as "easier" starting with a reactive side, it is, like Diarmin said, what eliminates the greatest pain at the time. I could (and I did) find dozens of things that are wrong with availability and capacity side, but a) I can't get a buy in for fixing them because they are not easily understood by the management b) improved incinde mngt practices would make improvements in avail and cap more attainable

Anyhow... sounds like some fun times ahead. Off I go.
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
I don't think it is as much as "easier" starting with a reactive side, it is, like Diarmin said, what eliminates the greatest pain at the time. I could (and I did) find dozens of things that are wrong with availability and capacity side, but a) I can't get a buy in for fixing them because they are not easily understood by the management b) improved incinde mngt practices would make improvements in avail and cap more attainable

Anyhow... sounds like some fun times ahead. Off I go.

It sounds like the same thing albeit said in a slightly different way. Availability and Capacity are both largely proactive with the possible exception of Expanded Incident Lifecycle.......maybe not even that.

Incident Management is your low hanging fruit and you'll get plenty of support to fix it no doubt because it is painful and high profile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> The ITIL Service Desk All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: