Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: L90N
New Today: 26
New Yesterday: 51
Overall: 146492

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - What is the right way to do this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the right way to do this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whibbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: What is the right way to do this? Reply with quote

I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whibbs,

why have you opened a new thread for this?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
swal87
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the right way to do this? Reply with quote

whibbs wrote:
I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.

I would suggest that creating a Problem record will only skew figures and reporting when going forward. Essentially you are saying that any incident logged by Fred Bloggs will be treated as a Problem in order to raise visibility, however in most situations a problem record has a longer SLA period to find a structural resolution, therefore all you are potentially doing is extending the resolution time and creating confusion when you look back on this historically.

Lets put it another way, if 2 or 3 other departments had a business pattern that demanded greater response times during a peak period, would you also add them to the problem process you have created. This would get awfully complex and would cause more harm than good.

What you need to do is to sit down with the business departments representatives and get their requirements and understand their patterns of demand. This information can then be discussed with IT departments to ensure a Service Level is documented that can be maintained and affordable to IT, whilst providing the Business with there requirements.

Far too often, SLA are just guess work by IT departments who don't really understand the business, also the business are not always sure what SLA's they need, until they need it.

To summarise, I would create a service level agreement that is appropriate to the service that the users require and that IT can provide. Keep adding calls to your incident system where they should be and assign the call to the appropriate SLA.

Simples!!!!

Let us know how you get on, but please don't log them in Problem!
whibbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diarmid wrote:
Whibbs,

why have you opened a new thread for this?

I didnt get a good enough answer and thought my subject title wasnt catchy enough
whibbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the right way to do this? Reply with quote

[quote="swal87To summarise, I would create a service level agreement that is appropriate to the service that the users require and that IT can provide. Keep adding calls to your incident system where they should be and assign the call to the appropriate SLA.

Thank you this helps a gtreat deal cheers
swal87
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem whibbs,

You just need to understand the business patterns and strategy that you are supporting. Don't go overboard and offer the earth if IT can't deliver.

After all, I would love all my Incidents to be fixed in 10 minutes, however in reality im not prepared to pay for that service and can make do with a cheaper more appropriate level.

P.S. The easy part in my experience is setting the SLA, getting the Service desk to log against the correct SLA is a different ball game altogether!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Service Delivery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: