Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: RHyp
New Today: 17
New Yesterday: 74
Overall: 131851

People Online:
Visitors: 57
Members: 7
Total: 64 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Introduction to ITIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction to ITIL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saulk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Introduction to ITIL Reply with quote

Hi

I need assistace,i am newly appointed by a government department as a service desk manager and the department bought an ITSM tool which cost a fortune,no process are in place except from incident,request,Which i started from scratch.Where do i start to convince everyone that until we document policies,processes and procedure we wont see value of implementing the tool.problem management,configuration management ,service level management and Change management are not customised to our department.Most process owners are ITIL ILLiterate.I am ITIL SOA,ITIL OSA certified.

Please advise......
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Introduction to ITIL Reply with quote

Saulk wrote:
Hi

I need assistace,i am newly appointed by a government department as a service desk manager and the department bought an ITSM tool which cost a fortune,no process are in place except from incident,request,Which i started from scratch.Where do i start to convince everyone that until we document policies,processes and procedure we wont see value of implementing the tool.problem management,configuration management ,service level management and Change management are not customised to our department.Most process owners are ITIL ILLiterate.I am ITIL SOA,ITIL OSA certified.

Please advise......

With those qualifications you should be able to make a case for Problem Management purely based on the ITIL textbooks. However it sounds like you should have the raw ingredients with the incidents you handle to make a great business case - incidents caused by failed changes, incident trends (to show where problem management could add value), customer complaints and feedback (to demonstrate the need for good SLM).
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire Diarmid on a short term contractual basis. He would be able to assist you in getting the right focus and the right track to get people to get on board.

That being said, there is a major difference from the free advice given here and consulting advice that is what you really seek / need

You governmnet agency bought a tool w/o thinking or planning and now you are on point to make it work. Life sucks doesnt

Considering that you have passed the exam for ITIL v3 foundation and the intermediate levels - SOA and OSA, I have to admit I feel vindicated about my opinion of the course material and the resulting certification.

Now what can be done and what advice can I give to you to help you fix the situation you are in

First. I have to ask

Is there any other ITIL certified staff in the company - V2 Manager's or anyone who has assisted in implement IT BP using ITIL framework

Is there a change manager, release manager, incident, problem manager with any authority in their area ?#
If they exist, are they ITIL certified or experienced

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Saulk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Introduction to ITIL Reply with quote

Only few are ITIL foundation certified,This includes our problem manager,change manager.I am also doing incident management.We have no configuration management at all.Service level management is not active.No one in top management went for any form of ITIL awareness workshops.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you need to do is the following

1 - start with as Boris Bear suggest
2 - Get more staff trained on the concepts of ITIL
3 - hire some people who have implemented IT Processes using ITIL framework

keep plugging away at #1 and #2

#3 is of course dependent on the financial situation of your government agency and its ability to hire temporary staff. Then there are issues in selecting companies/types/etc. Another threrad for this

Now the tool
Every ITSM tool follows some sort of basic logic / workflow These usually equate to the ITIL BP workflow as document

1 - have someone document how the tool works from start to finish.
2 - do a parallel documentation of how the processes work - according to the teams involved.
3 - compare them

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: