Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: V19A
New Today: 9
New Yesterday: 50
Overall: 146272

People Online:
Visitors: 60
Members: 1
Total: 61 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - resolution time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resolution time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abai84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: resolution time? Reply with quote

Hi to all members of the forum
i'm a new member and this is my first post, hope i'll find loads of benifits from this good forum Smile
i'm kinda new in the datacenter business in the leading telecom company in saudi Arabia (STC).
straight to my question which is composed of 2 parts,
1- Is resolution time of an incident binding as per SLA usually?
2- Is there a standard resolution time (per priority\severity level) according to ITIL? for instance 1 hour for highest priority incidents,4 hours for 2nd level of priority, etc

Thanks in advance and looking forward to a alot of answers and enlightments.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. ITIL makes no specifications whatsoever as to standards.

1. Consider the problems that will arise from a concept of binding resolution time for an incident.

The next bit is just my opinion.

Service Level Agreements should not be about such detailed matters as individual incidents. They should be about the overall levels of service. They should focus first of all on the availability and the quality of service and only through that focus establish requirements for incident resolution.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
abai84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks Diarmid for your reply
as you know average resolution time is used as a KPI in ITIL in incident management even if you are not commited by it in-front of the customer\user however it does remain a KPI. the question is, if there is no standard threshold for resolution time per severity level, isn't there a best practice average resolution time?

Thanks for your help
BorisBear
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abai84 wrote:
Hi and thanks Diarmid for your reply
as you know average resolution time is used as a KPI in ITIL in incident management even if you are not commited by it in-front of the customer\user however it does remain a KPI. the question is, if there is no standard threshold for resolution time per severity level, isn't there a best practice average resolution time?

Thanks for your help

ITIL is not that specific......you're confusing common practice with ITIL.

ITIL is descriptive not prescriptive.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abai84 wrote:
as you know average resolution time is used as a KPI in ITIL in incident management

This is not the case. ITIL is guidance it does not use anything.

If it is appropriate for your service to include commitments to average resolution time in the SLA, then that is fine. KPI is a separate point. You can specify measures in the SLA without making them KPIs.

Performance indicators, key or otherwise, are just that, indicators. Measures committed in an SLA are commitments to service levels. It is best not to confuse the two, although I suspect that most people do.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
StanleyLuces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLA's is bargaining between provider and the client, no standard values - sit it out with client and agree on the acceptable.. achievable SLA.

Well.. in your case - you as a provider might want to ask for more "resources" in case clients wants higher SLA's that you can currently offer.
Flasheart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned ITIL is not prescriptive...
That said, I can give you examples of SLAs Ive had in the past relating to resolution times..
One SLA may read: 90% of all mission critical incident tickets must be resolved within 4 hours.
Another could say 80% of all normal priority incident tickets must be resolved within 48 hours.
And another SLA example could indicate average resolution times for mission critical incident tickets must be 2 hours or less.

Again these are examples, as others have indicated its up to the service provider and the customer to agree upon these.

Just my 2 cents.
abai84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All, really thanks for your useful posts.
you see, my case in detail is this....
we have a tier4 datacenter "uptime institute" which is being operated by a partner. I wanted to have something to measure the performance of our partner to ensure the best quality possible to our customers. our partners are insisting that resolution time shouldnt be commited to with the customer while my point of view was that i need to monitor the average resolution time regardless is we commit to it with the customer, after which we can have alot of information we can analyize and make use of.
Thanks flashheart for the useful suggestion.
StanleyLuces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you in wanting to have measurables from your partner. I would understand why your partner would not want to commit resolution time to the customers.. but when the time comes and your customer demands it.. you have to give something.. better iron out an underpinning contract with your external partner so you have something jsut in case..

But if your interest is just to monitor the resolution times then just do it.. I mean nothing can stop you from doing it.. with or without SLA
abai84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks StanleyLuces.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: