Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Ernestsr
New Today: 54
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 144610

People Online:
Visitors: 53
Members: 3
Total: 56 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - ITSM Exam
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITSM Exam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karthickitil

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: ITSM Exam Reply with quote

Hi All

I need assistance from you all. I have planned to resit for ITSM V2 next week. When i wrote the exam last year i scored 44 in SD and 34 in SS. I thought i have written it well, However i didn't cleared those exam. I feel this is my tufest exam in my life.

My problem is i have the book knowledge, however i do not have a very good hands on exp,So i'm unable to think myself as an consultant and judge a correct answer to the question which is asked in the exam. Is there a way of writing the exam ? or is there any way to practice for this?

Please suggest

Warm Regards
Karthick Shanmugam
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should still have the materials from your course

In the course, the instructor would have asked you questions about certain aspects of the 10 and 1 - but solely on 1 process or function per question

What you need to do is be able to is take all of the kinds of questions that were asked -
Describe, list, explain, etc and work out for each process the answers,

1 - Every night until the course exam, you work with one process. you list describe, compare / contrast quesiton and you do it by hand writing the answers double space.

YOU SHOULD KNOW BY HEART AND DEEP IN YOUR HEAD THE BENEFITS, PARTS, COSTS, ETC FOR EACH PROCESS

Sorry about the UPPER Case - but it is important

The exam is not about reurgitating the information. It is about taking the information in each process and applying it to a specific situation ( question) and explaining the requested key points

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Karthickitil

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John.,

UKVIKING wrote:

In the course, the instructor would have asked you questions about certain aspects of the 10 and 1 - but solely on 1 process or function per question

What you need to do is be able to is take all of the kinds of questions that were asked -

1 - Every night until the course exam, you work with one process. you list describe, compare / contrast quesiton and you do it by hand writing the answers double space.

YOU SHOULD KNOW BY HEART AND DEEP IN YOUR HEAD THE BENEFITS, PARTS, COSTS, ETC FOR EACH PROCESS

The exam is not about reurgitating the information. It is about taking the information in each process and applying it to a specific situation ( question) and explaining the requested key points
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through this forum for some earlier past about the exam by myself, liz and a few others.. advice about how tot do the exam / study for it

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Karthickitil

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.., I am working on some sample questions, i have answer the KPIs for capacity management, Would please suggest would this be the correct answer?

KPIs
Forecast
Technology
Cost
Expenditures
Capacity Plan & Implement

Efficiency
Timely forecasts of resource requirements
Ability to monitor performance and throughput of all services
A reduction in panic buying
Utilization of planned expenditures
Reduction in lost business due to inadequate capacity

Effectiveness
Accurate forecasts of trends in resource utilization.
Implementation of new technology in line with requirements
Planned buying is always cheaper than panic buying
Accurate forecasts of planned expenditures
New services are implemented inline with requirements

There is another quest to explain the IT Cost model, Do i need to talk only about the Direct & indirect cost? what more i can take about it
Karthickitil

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John..,

Finally i wrote both the exams last week, waste of time in preparing the sample questions .,nothing helped.
Thanks for your suggestion it helped me in answering the questions.

i went through your comment about ITIL V3 Master bridge ..,

I wanted to become an Consultant., so does it mandatory to do ITIL V3 manager bridge ?

I am currently working as an Team lead an Techno-Managment profile., so i do not have real time exp in all the ITIL process, Just have a book knowledge and work on Service support process at times, would that help?
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure anything is mandatory to become a consultant. But it helps to sound convincing.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING wrote:

You will be well served understanding the general approach to "implementing", then managing a process. PDCA is as good a way as any.

off the top of my head
(and not particularly comperhensive)
PLAN
Business case (= leadership buy-in, explore options and ROI)
Establishment Project Plan (people, process, maybe tooling, maybe baseline maturity assessment)

DO
Executing on the Plan
Engaging people (RACI for process owner, manager, analyst, end user, comms, education)
Policy, process, maybe procedures
Success measures (the project, ongoing process health & process performance), reporting capability
Automate with a tool if it makes sense (not because tool vendor said so)

CHECK
Measure outcomes, maybe reasses maturity, analyse issues/gaps, improvement plan

ACT
Make improvements, keep remeasuring etc.

hope this helps.
TomOzITIL_2
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way.

The top 3 things people get wrong when sitting the V2 Manager exam are:

Not answering the question
Not managing their time during the exam (spend 35 mins on each question!)
Waffling and writing sentences/paragraphs when bullet points will get more marks. If a part of a question asks for pros & cons and is worth 8 marks, then list 8 of each in dot points. Don't write an essay. It is easier for the examiner to award marks if they can easily read your answer.

I scored 70 SS and 82 SD - it worked for me.

PS: I hand wrote notes on the following for each process as preparation.
Definition of each process

The benefits and advantages of each process

The costs to implement each process and costs to maintain each process

Critical Success Factors for each process

The disadvantages/challenges of each process

How to implement all of the processes

Generic items that are pretty much standard whichever process you implement

The interface points, the outputs of one process to the inputs of another

How - when implemented together - they generate further benefits for the organisation

The "desired results" that organisations/management are looking to achieve with ITIL processes

The boundaries of ITIL, where ITIL effectively ends and another (e.g. COBIT, Six Sigma) begins. Don't need to know the other process in ANY detail, but simply understanding how far you can take ITIL before you need to employ the methodologies of another process is beneficial.

Job descriptions for Process Owners & Process Participants
Karthickitsm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John & Tom thanks you so much for your advice,
I cleared SD & SS ., I have also completed ITIL V3 Expert.

Currently i am working as a release manager, however i wanted to get into Consulting firm. Since i do not have a prior exp in consulting unable to crack the interviews when they ask any scenario based questions.

Is there any company who take Junior for consulting ? if do please suggest me.

If not what is the best way to learn about consulting.

Please advice.

i have lost my user ID & password, thus i have created a new one and replying to my older note.

Warm regards
Karthick Shanmugam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Certification All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: