Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: TMcCann
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 69
Overall: 142364

People Online:
Visitors: 74
Members: 1
Total: 75 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Service Manager - Hours?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Manager - Hours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirrom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Service Manager - Hours? Reply with quote

I work for a large company that has been training staff in ITIL Foundations. I have 9 years of IT management experience and have an ITIL Foundation certification. I have an opportunity to pursue Practionier certifications or a Service Manager Certification. I have been researching and I understand the course setup for the Service Manager Certificaiton. However, what I am not finding is an accurate esitmate of how many hours per day is required of self study for the ITIL Service Manager certification, (I realize that everyone learns differently).

If this is 2-3 hours per day then I can squeeze that time in, if it's anymore I can't fit that in to my day as I have a day job and a couple of active kids. I am looking for an answer from a person or persons who has/have actually been through these courses as this answer will determine if I have the time to pursue the Service Manager certification.

Thank you!!
rjp
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The practitioner courses are 3 full contact days - the 3rd day is the onsite assessment day.

I believe face to face assessment is a requirement - so I am pretty sure most accredited trainerrs would be delivering a 3 day course.
dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Service Managers course Reply with quote

My advice is to attend a Practitioners course first, or even 2 if possible. This will get you into ITIL course mode.
The Foundation course is very much a classroom listen, learn and ask questions course whereas both Practitioner and Managers involves classroom, group discussion, presentations and a great deal of studying. The Managers course comprises of 1 week for the Service Support and another week for the Service Delivery elements. If you are not involved in most of the elements that make up the whole of the Managers certificate it can be very hard work, unfortunately at the time I wasn't.
It would be better for you to attend a residential course through one of the many ITIL training companies available, Pink, Fox IT etc. This should then get you both the courses, the study day and the exams as one package. Also try and get it through the company as it is not cheap - course, hotel, study day and exams. The exams, the last I heard, were 2 x 3hr closed book, held once a quarter and you need to pass both before attaining the coverted red badge.
Between the course(s) and the study day depending on ability you will need to do around 1 to 1.5 hours a night of self study. Someone I know did a Practitioners course just before his exams and passed first time with a very good score.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Training & ITSM Conferences All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: