Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MelvinLok
New Today: 45
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 148389

People Online:
Visitors: 44
Members: 0
Total: 44

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ® ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Successful change: definition?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successful change: definition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skinnera
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my organisation, I have defined a Successful Change as follows;

A Change that was implemented and satisfied its prescribed criteria by meeting all of the following conditions:
• Delivered fully what was expected
• Fixed what it should have
• Did not have any unexpected impact on service
• Did not have to be backed out.
• Did not over-run its Change Window

However we are just about to move to a very different model, which does away with Successful and Failed in favour of these more informative options;

Implemented - No Impact
Implemented - With Impact
Backed Out - No Impact
Backed Out - With Impact

These are less subjective and emotive, and accurately describe exactly what happened at the end of the Change's lifecycle.
Ines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Chilly]The possibility that an incident may occur, may be a known risk. It may be very likely that when you cut over the core router, you will recieve some incident calls from users saying they can't access the system.[/quote]

It may be a known risk, but it doesn't mean stakeholders are happy to wear it if it happens. IT's not like you would make a change, it break something, and leave bits broken. You would fix the broken bits. Those risks still need to be mitigated.

A successful change should not require utilisation of a backout plan, or additional resources, time and effort than that documented in the implementation plan. Everything should still work as though the change never happens - key phrase is that it should be "seamless to the end user".
TomG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Compromise between Successful and Failed Reply with quote

Chilly and Ed, great back and forth. I struggled with the same topic a few years back and so I introduced a classification of, Successful With Problems.

Call it what you will, there was a need to capture changes that were implemented to plan and gave the requestor/benefactor/stakeholder what they wanted but an issue appeared in production that was otherwise unforseen.

There's usually no easy way to capture these types of occurances but the few that did get caught were quickly classified in our change reporting and since I held the problem manager title, I bypassed trending it because there weren't enough to be trended and went right into problem analysis and gathering info.

As for a successful change definition, my criteria matches that of the posting from Skinnera with slight modification.

Whatever criteria you choose to define a successful change, my advise based on learning for past mistakes is to ensure you involve your CAB members and process sponsors in designing them and to get buy in. You'll need this upper management support and CAB support when your assessments or the change results are challenged by those who don't want to be measured because they will have a perception that they need to defend themselves if anything perceived as negative arises.

My first post.... hope I'm not off my rocker... I love this kind of stuff.
Pixxolo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All.....please advise on this....

Here is the example:

RFC is submitted and approved for Date X @ 21:00.
RFC is communicated and scheduled on a Forward Schedule of Change Calendar….effectively ‘reserving’ that date/time.

The implementation date/time passes without any change being made and no notification to Change Management.

Question:
Should the RFC be marked as FAILED?
noneforit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your CM process define as a 'Failed' change

We currently use 'Sucessful' and 'Unsucessful'

Using your example, that would be an unsucessful change according to our definition

They said they were going to do XYZ at a particular time and they didn't do that, so would be an unsucessful change

The change itself hasn't failed (as in gone wrong) but it has failed to happen so it would be down to how you define a failed change
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter to your management whether a change (not an RFC) has failed or has not been applied?

Is such high level and undefined information of any value? Can you make use of it/
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Change Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: