Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LeonieNuga
New Today: 11
New Yesterday: 73
Overall: 150051

People Online:
Visitors: 54
Members: 3
Total: 57 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - When to reopen an existing closed problem case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to reopen an existing closed problem case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: When to reopen an existing closed problem case Reply with quote

I would like to know, when can we reopen an existing problem case, closed with a permanent solution.

e.g. there was an outage for Service A . After investigation, a root cause was identified and a permanent solution was implemented.

After sometime, the same Service A was affected, but at this stage no initial investigation was carried out to identify the root cause.

Now at this point, should we open a new problem case to investigate to cause of the 2nd outage or reopen the 1st problem case.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two answers:

Practical:
How will re-opening a closed problem help in the resolution?

Theoretical;
If you have not done an investigation into the underlying cause of the new outage, how do you know that it is the same problem? - symptoms can be misleading.

Third answer:
If they are the same problem (i.e. your permanent solution implemented was in fact inadequate), how much of the old problem process do you unwind? Did it go wrong in the analysis or solution part (or somewhere else)? Why would you re-open a flawed process?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
kamran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Diarmid,

Well it is well explained and understood, thanks for that.

But what would I do in case where after the investigation it turns out to be the same root cause as it was for the previous closed case?

or

if I know for a fact that the underlying cause is the same as it was for the previous closed case.

Is there a good practice or criterion to check against to reopen a closed case, outlined by ITIL or we must open a new case and relate the old case with the new one to give it more weight and ask the service owner/proponent to do a proper assessment and propose solutions to prevent from happening again.

or it all depends on human judgement.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot envisage any circumstance in which it would be best to re-open a closed problem. Certainly it makes sense to reference the earlier investigation, but what reason can you propose for re-opening it?

I would attach a note to the earlier work stating that it failed and why it failed and have your quality manager or problem manager attack the causes of the failure. I might even raise a problem about the failure. These things would be harder to do if you re-opened the case, because there would be a new final outcome.

It's a different matter if the new incident occurs while the old problem is not fully closed, for example, pending routine review and final sign-off.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Sunny60in

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kamran,

Your question "... should we open a new problem case to investigate to cause of the 2nd outage or reopen the 1st problem case."

To me it means... It is not yet confirmed that root cause is same at case 1. So this is good reason to open a new problem. You might end up with some differnt root cause. I am sure investigation would start 'after' problem case is opened. If root cause turns out to be the same, link these problems.

So... start with new problem link if outage & root cause are same.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you link the problems?
William Penn 1644-1718
Sunny60in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested to link problem because problem & root cause were same for the same service. I have never come across similar situation though. May be problems shouldn't be linked. Please explain if it not a good practice.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be such a rare occurrence that there would never be a use for the link. I can't imagine needing a report of problems that needed to be dealt with twice. You might want to put a note in each one just in case someone needs to look at the history sometime.

On the other hand your quality manager would want to see that someone had investigated why a problem had been closed with a false/inadequate resolution in case it indicated a failing somewhere in the management system (poor diagnostic skills, poor testing, poor controls?). This could be done in the problem review when it is finally closed or in the regular problem management review or as a special review of the occurrence.

And if it did ever happen again (to any part of the service) there definitely ought to be a review. Getting as far as investigating a problem and applying a solution only to find it has not gone away is likely to be costly and to damage confidence in the whole of service management.

It's not something you expect to happen, and so putting a link in seems a bit of a cop-out, as if to say "this might be interesting to someone someday", instead of "this needs looking at now".

Of course there are other circumstances when it is relevant to link problems, such as linking all problems related to a particular service or a particular supplier's hardware. But your system or your routine reports may well make those links anyway.
William Penn 1644-1718
smehdi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the a new PR should be open for a new incident as at that moment we dont the root cause of the issue.

Once the root cause is confimed and you found that its same as the previous one , plz go ahead and link it to your previous PR for the trending purpose.

I normally raise a new PR for every incident requires investigation and link it to th existing PR if the root cause is same (Parent /Child PR concept)

Additionally , if you open the existing PR , the investigating team might get influenced with the previous findings in the PR and could lead to same result. However a fresh PR might give them a new direction of investigation.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smehdi wrote:
Once the root cause is confimed and you found that its same as the previous one , plz go ahead and link it to your previous PR for the trending purpose.

If you are trending the recurrence of the same problem you are not doing very well. It should not happen! Don't forget kamran is talking about a problem believed to be already resolved.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: