Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: Charl6898
New Today: 24
New Yesterday: 51
Overall: 146490

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 0
Total: 50

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - implimentation of a problem process in new job
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

implimentation of a problem process in new job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abu1
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: implimentation of a problem process in new job Reply with quote

Hi
Started a new job which does not have a problem manamgemtn process in place. their incident management process is mature and works. can you give me tips on what factors to take into account and which you think are best ways for the service desk to log and pass to problem manager and how to assign to 3rd line groups

thanks
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip 1.

Don't design the problem management process from the incident management perspective.

Tip 2.

Assigning resources is assigning resources whether for problem investigation and resolution, incident resolution or anything else.

Tip 3.

If you think that problem management is about using third line (or any other line) you are on the wrong track. [sorry folks; unintentional] If you have a third line it needs to be just as available to incident management as to any other part of your operation.

Tip 4.

Start by considering the purpose and objectives of problem management as they apply to your organization. sub-tip: you could look at the ISO20000 document to get you started here.

Tip 5.

Recognize a) not all problems are brought to light by incidents, and b) not all problems are of a technical nature.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
abu1
Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks diarmid for the reply.. I think its difficult to impliment ITIL in a small organisation. AS there is not many problems or major incidents occuring which requires a permenant person doing these roles.
Also it seems like any major incident or problem which occure get dealt by the teams themselves and bypass the proces..

It works nicely in a large organisation where you have a big IT team ...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree strongly.

Firstly disabuse yourself of the thought that ITIL can be implemented. It cannot.

Secondly understand that ITIL implies nothing with respect to whole- or part-time management jobs. It only talks about roles, for which certain skills are required.

All else being equal, I suspect it would be easier to establish a good service management system in a small organization and that is precisely what ITIL offers guidance on. I don't see where anyone avoiding proper process can hide in a small organization.

I think the other thing you have to understand is that anyone can be assigned the task of managing a particular major incident or problem, so long as that person has the appropriate skills and is given the appropriate authority and resources. It could be a different person every day if you want. But whoever does it must follow the procedures you have designed to control the process.

Just an aside, it is a fairly large "small organization" that has dedicated third-line staff.

In my view, the smallest size of IT organization that could benefit from understanding ITIL is a unit of one person. Smaller than that may not be able to get so much benefit.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718

Last edited by Diarmid on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
abu1
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me clatify what im saying. ITIL specxific roles suc has incident manager , problem manager or change/release in a smal organisation is not really required for a single person. they will be bored out of their brain due to lack of work..

if its a small organisation how many major incidents will you get? or change requests?

so it may be better for one person to do all these roles rather than have 1 person per role.

i am talking from experience here...
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I said.

Although whether one person or more than one person depends on the scale.

My point was that this does not make it difficult to use ITIL guidance in the development of your IT service management system and that it is not more difficult to develop a quality system in a small organization.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Problem Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: