Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: LCarrier
New Today: 44
New Yesterday: 58
Overall: 146024

People Online:
Visitors: 50
Members: 1
Total: 51 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Advice required re: qualifications!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice required re: qualifications!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
choch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Advice required re: qualifications! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recently self studied and passed the ITIL Foundation exam with a 95% pass mark (yippee!!) and thoroughly enjoyed learning the course.

I know wish to deliver the ITIL Foundation course as a Freelance/Contractor, whilst keeping my current job as a Network Shift Engineer. Eventually, if things go as planned, I would like to be an ITIL Consultant for a global organisation.

Anyway, back to the point. I have read many threads and websites detailing on what I need to do to get qualified, and have been in touch with various training organisations in the UK.

I understand that I need 7 more credits to be qualified as a Trainer (including x amount of training experience) so I want to undertake the Service Operation and operational Support & Analysis modules. However, the quotes I am receiving so far are far too expensive for me, taking into account that I will fund this myself.

Although this is an investment it it self, unfortunately, I do not have 1000 + to spend on the courses

I spoke to the training organisations to see if they will take monthly installments, but so far, I have found no one who does this.

Can someone therefore recommend a cost effective way where I can obtain the training without breaking the bank please?? I am very keen to do this but my current financial situation is a huge barrier.

Thanking you in advance..... Confused Crying or Very sad
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choch

I have a few question for you

Since it is NOT required to take a class for ITIL Foundation, what you think the marketability of being nan ITIL FOundation freelance / contractor traininer is going to be ?

There is a glut of ITIL training companys and trainer
There are more trainers with more experience in IT service management than you that are job hunting

Whil.e I commend you for passing the exam, it is not the same thing as implementing IT SM uisng ITIL or teaching ITSM using ITIL

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
choch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice UKVIKING...

Although it wasn't what I wanted to hear, I completely understand your points and take them on board.

The problem I have is that I work as IT Network Shift Engineer and am not using the ITIL methodology as much as I would like to.

Previously, I was a Service Desk Team Leader and moved onto shifts, quiet simply, for the extra cash.

I now find myself in a position where I DONT wish to embark on a technical career path and would like to do something more focused around ITIL.

Yes, I understand that there are several careers to choose from (Change, Transition, Problem Manager etc etc) and I feel I will enjoy Service Delivery. The issue is the lack of experience and jobs.

Hence I wanted to teach ITIL hoping that it would open more doors from me.

The market is not great to be switching jobs but I need to find a structured career patch before it is too late....maybe I'm not being sensitive considering some individuals are out of work, but I dont want to be sitting here in 3 years time doing the same job I am doing now.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choch

to coin a phrase .. shit happens.
The economy sucks in the world right now

There are more roles for Service desk people and technical people than trainers
why because there are more companies putting in service desks and netowkrs and systsms than training in ITIL.

ITIL is a soft skill like prince2 or such

system network kskils are technical skills and the good ones at it always have work

you are a Network shoft engineer
if you do your job correctly, you are doing ITSM using ITIL
you raise tickets on events, correct them and close the ticket .. or you hand them off to more skilled people
Chioch .. you are doing Incident mgmt the core of ITSM

As for wanting to progress, i commend that but. this not only skills / roles that are available now.. but in the future

if you work for a big company.. get them to pay for your course work to take th courses you want

there are a lot of other courses / skill sets out there

Cisco track
Microsoft track
IT Security

If you dont have the money... save it and plan for it...

Work within your company to get the epxerience or for them to pay for training to keep you up to date skill wise

Service delivery is basically building the system and then handing off to another team to run with. you have to under stand what they would need to do so in your area of work first as well as other areas

training people is something .. at least in IT.. that people who have vast experience should be doing

choch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again John for your advice, much appreciated.

It has helped me decide what I need to do and where I want to go Very Happy

I think teaching ITIL is a no no for me considering my skills/experience, and I don't wish to progress on a technical career path. I generally feel that there are better, more qualified engineers than me and if I am going to be honest, I don't enjoy fixing faults all day.

I am more of a people's person, love communicating with the clients etc etc

I have the ITIL Foundation, Service Desk Management experience and now the Tier 1 network engineer exposure....I will combine the 3 and look at progressing within a Service Delivery route.

Thanks again John for responding.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choch

Get the CCNP anyway

It cant hurt and it gives you an understnading of network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Jobs All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: