Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: JSager
New Today: 59
New Yesterday: 49
Overall: 146088

People Online:
Visitors: 61
Members: 5
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - Problem Manager vs. Incident Manager
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Manager vs. Incident Manager

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjackson68

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Problem Manager vs. Incident Manager Reply with quote

In ITIL v3 can you have the same person performing both roles?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exam question

RTFM

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much more interesting would be: in the real world can you have the same person performing both roles?

But we all know the answer.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rjackson68

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified a little bit. In the real world could they be the same person?
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. but should not
although the roles have diametrically opposed goals
incident mgr - restore service
problem mgr - find root cause

again
this is noted in the itil books and highhlighted in training course about incident and problem mgmt

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you we all know the answer.

Combining the roles only becomes sensible when your organization is far too small to assign the roles seperately. Probably when you have no more than one or two management level staff in total.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
UKIT
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the title "Problem Manager vs. Incident Manager", I had visions of a fight taking place.
In the red corner is the Incident Manager, keen to restore IT services as soon as possible.
In blue corner is the Problem Manger ready to establish the root cause, in order to prevent the incident from occurring again,
Ding ding round one, o dear neither can make any progress as the Service Asset & Configuration Management process is yet to be established.

Its been a long day..... Smile
abu1
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more and more companies are combining the two roles now. my job is a incident and problem manager. And have seen plenty of vacancies advertised with same title.
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do you have a protocol for mediating your inherent conflict of interest?

I agree. I have also seen many adverts that express or imply that the functions are under one management at the working level.

Incomprehensibly, ITIL has failed to make clear the difference.

Incomprehensible, because I have always found it perfectly clear. And yet I have been asked what the difference is at numerous job interviews as if it was some kind of challenging question.

Thus illustrating the gulf between best practice and common practice.
William Penn 1644-1718
abu1
Itiler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in practise there is alot of overlap between the two hence more and more companies are combining the two roles. ITIL is just guidlines and doesnt really work in every company needs to be tweaked. I too find incident and problem very similar in certain cases and 1 person can do both roles. you will see these roles being combined more oftern just makes sence
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are misinterpreting the context. ITIL is guidance, but it contains many completely legitimate statements whose truth is not dependent on ITIL and therefore not rejectable on the basis that "ITIL is guidance". ITIL recommends keeping the roles separate and this is rejectable if you choose (preferably for good reason). ITIL identifies the conflict of interest and this is not rejectable because it is not guidance.

It does not matter what ITIL says. What matters is that there is a conflict of interest in the objectives of the incident and problem management regimes. This is real and is derived from what the roles are. I.e. it is a matter of logic, not opinion.

Therefore, if you combine the two responsibilities in one person you need, from a governance perspective, to develop protocols for the management of this conflict of interest.
William Penn 1644-1718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> ITIL Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: