Search
Topics
  Create an account Home  ·  Topics  ·  Downloads  ·  Your Account  ·  Submit News  ·  Top 10  
Modules
· Home
· Content
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Search
· Statistics
· Surveys
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your_Account

Current Membership

Latest: MichalVar
New Today: 53
New Yesterday: 88
Overall: 139954

People Online:
Visitors: 64
Members: 2
Total: 66 .

Languages
Select Interface Language:

Major ITIL Portals
For general information and resources, ITIL and ITSM World is the most well known for both ITIL and ITIL Books. A shorter snapshot approach can be found at ITIL Zone

Related Resources
Service related resources
Service Level Agreement
Outsourcing

Note: ITIL is a registered trademark of OGC. This portal is totally independent and is in no way related to them. See our Feedback Page for more information.

The Itil Community Forum: Forums

ITIL :: View topic - CMDB - Status options for Software CI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CMDB - Status options for Software CI's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: CMDB - Status options for Software CI's Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I've done some work around classes,status etc on Configuration Items for my CMDB. It's all pretty straight forward with the Hardware statuses (Stock, Production decommissioned etc) but i'm struggling on the software side of things.
I've kept the Class at a high level - Software, and Type examples include Patch, Application and Component. I'm struggling with the status lifecycle though for Software. I'm thinking along the lines of Install pending, installed, license expiring, expired but not sure.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
All feedback greatly apperciated.

Regards,

GOC
Diarmid
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOC,

as always I suggest start with what you are going to use it for.

Make up statements like "we need to know whether the software is in live use because..., and we will use the information to..."

Well don't make them up, derive them from what you do.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
GOC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diarmid,

Many thanks for the response and i'll bear what you have stated in mind - very good advice.

Basically the Status will confirm the "state" that software is in at any given time. The troube is i'm struggling with options for the Status of software, ie how would you give it a Status of " not in use at present" or "retired" -(possibly expired or upgraded)?

From your own knowledge or personal experience would you have any examples?

Kind Regards,

GOC
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOC

What are you trying to say with the value for software

either software is installed or it is not - boolean
either software is licensed or it is not - boolean
site licence or seat license
annual cost - renewable or fix cost
expire on
what about versions of the software

O/S
IO/S
application services
applications

There are NO hard answers to your question.

If you choose the states - happy, sad, despondent and oblivous - that is find
there is no organization that will punish you for it

it is your damn data

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
GOC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKVIKING,

That's not the anwser I'm looking. You're talking about attributes apart from Installed.
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOC

You are missing the point

Before yout set the value for a field yu need to define the purpose

What is the purpose of the STATUS field
When will the status field change
Why will it change
and lastly

does it need to be tracked at all

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing GOC

Map out the work flow for software before you do the CMDB fields

it will make life so much easier

GOC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!
mulgrew36

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: License values vs Status values Reply with quote

The status of a software application license is an attribute that should remain separate from its status.
Status suggestions:
- Requested (use prior to site approval and/or certification)
- Certified
- Installed or Active
- Retired
- Disabled (use to indicate suspension due to events such as license status, use in denial of service attacks, etc)[/list]
IF4IT
Itiler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CMDB - Status options for Software CI's Reply with quote

GOC wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I've done some work around classes,status etc on Configuration Items for my CMDB. It's all pretty straight forward with the Hardware statuses (Stock, Production decommissioned etc) but i'm struggling on the software side of things.
I've kept the Class at a high level - Software, and Type examples include Patch, Application and Component. I'm struggling with the status lifecycle though for Software. I'm thinking along the lines of Install pending, installed, license expiring, expired but not sure.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
All feedback greatly apperciated.

Regards,

GOC

Hi GOC,

In addition to things mentioned by others, you may want to consider the "highest level environment" that the software has been deployed too...

For example: DEV, INTEG, UAT, PROD

This helps distinguish between the cases when Software v1.0 is in production and Software v2.0 is still in another preceding environment, like INTEG or UAT (denoting that it will be in production in the future).

I hope this helps.

My Best
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF4IT

That would not be an attribute of the software / application.

Instead, if the DB is a relational database, the system that has the software installed would refer back to the software / application.

In addition, when you have multiple versions of the software / application, then you would have multiple records for that software / application - one for each version.

In closing, you would also have patch / service packs linking back to the appropriate software / application and version.

However, this all depends on what you are tracking, why you are tracking and how you are going to manage the changes to the data you are tracking

IF4IT
Itiler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UKV,

Please find my responses, below...

UKVIKING wrote:
That would not be an attribute of the software / application.

Instead, if the DB is a relational database, the system that has the software installed would refer back to the software / application.

I understand that in the CMDB you would want to tie the software to its environments, through relationships, and I agree that it's VERY useful to do that. However, I've found it useful in the past to use a "Current Environment" attribute as a status indicator that allowed us to create visual dashboards that depicted color-coded progress for Software Releases/Versions. This allowed us to do things like...

SW(X) V1.0 DEV=Green; INTEG=Green; UAT=Green; PROD=Green;
SW(X) V2.0 DEV=Green; INTEG=Green; UAT=Green; PROD=Red;
SW(X) V3.0 DEV=Green; INTEG=Red; UAT=Red; PROD=Red;

This allowed us to compare progress across Releases of a given piece of Software, such as "SW(X)" and even compare different Releases of different Software to each other, such as comparing SW(X) to SW(Y) and to SW(Z).

Two very large enterprises we established this for found such color-coded progress reports very useful.

UKVIKING wrote:
In addition, when you have multiple versions of the software / application, then you would have multiple records for that software / application - one for each version.

I agree. I would also add that Software is not the same as an Application. An Application (which to me is nothing more than a Software System) is often composed of one or more different pieces of Software, which is often captured through Relationships.

For example: Application(X)-Release/Version(2.0) is composed of software that runs local to the Web Server, software that runs local to the Application Server, software that runs local to the Database Server, software that runs local to the ETL Server, and software that runs local to the File Transfer Server. In such a case, there are many pieces of software associated with it.

UKVIKING wrote:
In closing, you would also have patch / service packs linking back to the appropriate software / application and version.

However, this all depends on what you are tracking, why you are tracking and how you are going to manage the changes to the data you are tracking

Yes, I agree. You would have many things linked back to it.

My Best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ITIL Forum Index -> Configuration Management All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: